My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Heres what I do getting over the shock of a 48 hour summer to winter conversion, I spend money. This should be nuff stuff to run a 18" fuel line.
I have another in-line filter here also but cant find it , thats another prob I have when I touch something it disapears into thin air never to be seen again.

Thats a weird little red in-line filter, and I had no shut off valve so I had to but that entire $10 kit just to get that junk little cut off valve. I'll be getting me a better one but I was just at lowes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
I'd also consider scrapping the glass bowl in favor of a petcock at the bottom of the tank like the 60s era tractors. I like those because of the steel mesh filtration they offer at the tank. gravely_tractor_museum on Ebay has them.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'd also consider scrapping the glass bowl in favor of a petcock at the bottom of the tank like the 60s era tractors. I like those because of the steel mesh filtration they offer at the tank. gravely_tractor_museum on Ebay has them.

I saw one of those on GT's website last night and liked it, but what concerns me is that nipple coming out of my tank is pretty rigid like a square plate about 1"x1" with a barb ftg, coming from it at a 90 deg. angle and I certainly dont wanna loosen that thing up whatever I do.
It looks like it came on the tank like that and if I would get that thong loose I would just have to remove the tank and take it somewhere to get it fixed.
But like I said I very much liked what your'e talking about and Im gonna take another look at it and see how I can get in on.
I hate to splice the line very much but if I used it that would be one splice and one for a in-line filter.
Im gonna look at it again
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I certainly dont wanna loosen that thing up whatever I do.
Unless your tank is badly rusted, it should be no problem. It's just a regular pipe thread into a reinforcement in the bottom of the tank. A 7/16 open-end will have it out in a jiffy. The petcock threads back in the same way.

That said, my advice is leave it. Get the machine running. Then decide if you want to tweak anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Unless your tank is badly rusted, it should be no problem. It's just a regular pipe thread into a reinforcement in the bottom of the tank. A 7/16 open-end will have it out in a jiffy. The petcock threads back in the same way.

That said, my advice is leave it. Get the machine running. Then decide if you want to tweak anything else.
Well Im waiting for GT's to call me back cause Im ordering the petcock and a pr. (4) bearings is just $20 all together. If I need it I'll have it. The one w/the screen of course.
Thanks
Im gonna get this thing as close to perfect as I possibly can, gonna put everything I got in it.
Next one when this is finished I wont be so tedious ( couldnt possibly afford to be) with it. Get it running and h311 with it lol!
And next one I will know what to do and what not to do .

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Some fuel resistant pipe dope or teflon tape for the petcock threads would be a good idea prior to installing. Also, between the two fuel filters, I like the clear Stens variety the best. Just take care not to install it backwards.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Some fuel resistant pipe dope or teflon tape for the petcock threads would be a good idea prior to installing. Also, between the two fuel filters, I like the clear Stens variety the best. Just take care not to install it backwards.

Yea I ordered that stuff awhile ago, so is the Stens the pipe dope? I usually use blue thread sealer but it might not be good for water, and I got the Red to and that stuff dont hardly come off.
I used to sell plb supplies and I'll have to see it it has WOG on it, meaning Water, Oil or Gas ( meaning natural gas of course) but thats mostly on valves. But Im wondering if "Oil" would handle gasoliene? Who knows, not real applicable here anyway.

In another matter Im having a issue w/the new throttle cable or the mechanism that goes on the handle bar.
As can be seen in the pics the lock nut wont go in enuf to allow me to bolt it down flush w/handle bar. so Im gonna clean up the old stock one and use my new cable-only and wrapping of course and see how it goes. It was hard getting that fat part out of the "U" looking piece at start of cable and mechanism.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'd go with this, which is fuel resistant:

Permatex 80019 Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3 Sealant, 4 oz.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBM3QQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dBU3Db8M3B0JQ

Looks like the stuff, I'll have to try to find a tube of it at Auto Parts store up on the corner. Ten buckaroo's is a lot to just use one Q-Tip of it untill it turns to stone like everything else Iv'e gotten like that lol.
I gotta get a bldg. for winter work because I have to drag all stuff like that and 6 or 7 things just like it in the house for winter and prolly 30 cans of paint and anything that will freeze. Gotta find place to put it then listen about how Im "draggin all that crap in the house again" You know the rap lol.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

I wish I could just hook up the fuel line and throttle then choke but none of it has even been attached to the machine yet.
In a post below I splain how I cant even get the throttle on or the bracket on the H-Bar, the nut in the middle stands the bracket off from the handlebar. Its not a big deal and I have a cpl options for sure but the wind was blowing 55 MPH today and just covering it up was almost impossible. Im lucky to have electricity because many in the area dont .
Like I said I have options on how to fix it but I wish it wasnt like that. I guess it (the lever) goes on the inside but either side it does it.
But the weather is crazy round here plus work, cant get any time to do anything.
Now Im almost like "hurry and get it started, for what? To turn around and shut it off? Then get sulky fixed up, then 30" deck?" Its winter and getting dark at 5:30 now Im back to doing a bunch of little things now like getting fuel line right w/the petcock I ordered from GT's this morning, taking carb loose to remove glass bowl and all that. But one thing different this winter is I will be doing "something" for it all the time instead of just waiting till spring to touch it like last winter.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts