My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says some of the easiest looking stuff is a bigger problem than putting valves and springs back in and changing jugs ( once I gut the guts up to do it) .
I looked at some pix I had to locate where the old fuel bowl was and it went right into the carb. but as in pic I just took pretty much in the dark the viewer ( if any) might be able to tell that the new bowl I have wont turn on threaded brass male ftg that comes out of carb to thread into new bowl because it hits against side of fan housing.
Its not real scientific and I can remove carb wich I guess I'll have to do but does it need a filter as well? I have one of those to and they can pretty much go anywhere in the line cant they?
Cutting the right size hose from a auto hose I had wich luckily fits good was not an easy task.

I guess the bowl is a filter, cant remember or not.
And the usual side-ways pics are here

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,684 Posts
I guess the fuel bowl acts somewhat as a filter, the crud will sometimes sink to the bottom of it. However, that is where the fuel is picked up from. Best not to let any crud in there to start with, thus a filter is recommended.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the fuel bowl acts somewhat as a filter, the crud will sometimes sink to the bottom of it. However, that is where the fuel is picked up from. Best not to let any crud in there to start with, thus a filter is recommended.
So using both would be the best thing to do ya think? I sure do, and I guess in-line filter will be B4 the bowl naturally since the bowl is going into carb.

Thanks
Gerrard

P.S. I went to auto parts store and tried to find a brass coupling to extend the ftg comming out of carb about a 1/2 so I could spin bowl to get it threaded on but they didnt have anything, so I'll just have to take carb off at intake manifold and thread bowl on and put it back.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
The fuel bowl does act as a filter, but it's not as effective as the modern sort.

The thing a bowl is really good for is removing some amount of water from the fuel. It sinks to the bottom of the bowl. Plus, it's easy to see when there's some in there, and pop the bowl off to dump it out.

It's for that reason that they used to be common on aircraft. Except there, they're called gascolators :)

I've seen the bowls grafted on to the intake port of a carb, but I've never liked that arrangement. On older gravelys which came standard with a fuel bowl, the bowl was threaded into the bottom of the tank, and a steel line went down to the carb inlet.

My recommendation: leave the bowl on the shelf. Get whatever fittings you need to run 1/4" ID rubber fuel line from the tank to the carb, and stick an inline filter in the line.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was trying to find out just where to put the darn thing lol! So heres the old pix I took when I got it and there it was threaded right into the carb. Is that what you mean when you talk about the set-up you dont like?
And my new bowl has a small t-handle needle valve on it like the air adj on my carb, so wonder what thats all about.?

And something else that has me worried but I done want to start a new thread about it because I dont want this page plastered with my threads up and down the thing.
My shifting levers on right-side of tractor, well the actuators or actual shift mechanisims that the rods attach to on side of casting only move like a 1/2". I guess thats something I'll have to figure out after its running so I will know if it matters and/or how much but it seems strange to me.

Man Im so glad I took a cpl hundred pix of the disasembly or I would have really been skewered so to speak.
Look at the diff in the mess of the stuff as I got it, it looks like someone sprayed paint stripper all over everything.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,684 Posts
Sorry...misread your post. I thought you were talking about the carb bowl.
Either way, the inline filter is better for dirt, both doesn't hurt

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Is that what you mean when you talk about the set-up you dont like?
Yes. IMHO it looks like of stupid. Plus, that fuel bowl is hanging out in the breeze, in a perfect place to get dinged. Hit it a little, and you can break the fitting off the carb inlet.

I have a bunch of machines with fuel bowl filters, but they're all up under the tank.
And my new bowl has a small t-handle needle valve on it like the air adj on my carb, so wonder what thats all about.?
Fuel shutoff.
the actuators or actual shift mechanisims that the rods attach to on side of casting only move like a 1/2".
You mean the lever coming out side of the transmission? What the IPL calls the actuating shaft lever? That should be fine. It indicates your clutches aren't too worn :)

You'll end up adjusting the pushrods and springs once you get it running.
Look at the diff in the mess of the stuff as I got it, it looks like someone sprayed paint stripper all over everything.
Really, what you're seeing is that when gravely manufactured these things, they didn't spend a lot of effort doing a first class paint job.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the answers, felt good about most of them (if not all) esp about the levers that the handle bar rods on rt. side hook-up to meaning the two levers or shifting levers that come out of the side of the tractor that open and close w/a bolt as a battery terminal connection does. Actually they look like a battery top post connection does.
But I did do one thing that wasnt to bright and that is hook the glass bowl up to the carb, its where it was and the ftg was there anyway but like you said its a bad place for something made of glass to be. If I could weld I'd put something there to protect it and might just yet w/something resembling an old screen door handle.
I did a pretty good job on the hose from air filter to carb tho, the hose came off my Ford/Mazda Ranger and it had just the right turn and angle.
Well heres some pics. I took two of each incase they decide to turn themselves sideways from my key board to the screen.

I dont see how the little T-handle needle valve will shut fuel off because its on the back of bowl and fuel enters from top. Its almost like a air mixing valve. Pretty strange.
Well theres the side-ways stuff, lemmi try to post a cpl more.

I had to take carb off to spin that bowl on there, might be just two bolts but getting it back on with the gasket sliding all over the place made it nerve racking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Probably the thing to do would be to relocate the glass bowl to under the tank and add a modern inline filter for good measure.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably the thing to do would be to relocate the glass bowl to under the tank and add a modern inline filter for good measure.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Yea I have one of them and its goin in the line as well but I already messed-up and put the glass one there because thats where it was when I got it and first prob with it and I'll can it.
I just ordered it on-line and thot it looked kinda nostalgic and all kinda 'old style' but Im not married to the thing. I think I paid like $16 or $18 for it.
But unlike the in-line job I just cant understand that bowl hanging in mid-air like the inline filter does, it just seems odd to me unless its level. Seems like it would just have a moving bubble or something in it all the time.
I prolly would just S-can it before dangling it from a line, just dont seem to me like a 'hanger' ya know?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Y
But unlike the in-line job I just cant understand that bowl hanging in mid-air
It doesn't.

If you want to use the bowl, like redrider said, put it under the tank. A small brass nipple does the job. I *think* it's 3/8" pipe, but don't have one in front of me to check. Threads into the bottom of the tank, and the top of the fuel bowl. Line goes from the side of the fuel bowl down to the carb.

gravelymanuals.com is your friend. See for instance https://www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Model_L_Instruc_Man_1955.pdf page 5 plate 10.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It doesn't.

If you want to use the bowl, like redrider said, put it under the tank. A small brass nipple does the job. I *think* it's 3/8" pipe, but don't have one in front of me to check. Threads into the bottom of the tank, and the top of the fuel bowl. Line goes from the side of the fuel bowl down to the carb.

gravelymanuals.com is your friend. See for instance https://www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Model_L_Instruc_Man_1955.pdf page 5 plate 10.
I liked those manuals alright but I couldnt find the ftg comming out of tank, I think it started at pg. 19 and is just one big up & down page . Gotta go to work soon but will check it out this eve.
But comming out of my tank is this barb or 'stab fitting' on a 90 deg. angle and its tiny and looks fragile as heck and dont even want to mess w/it. But I'll just have to get over this one because I have much still to do and between the daylight saving time and cold I cant ask for anymore trouble but I thank you all for all the ideas and coaching and will take them all as gospel.
Those cooling fins seem to be more trouble than I thot as well ( P.S. I can spell thought but this way is much easier) and gotta get them on along w/a bunch of other stuff so I can see if it will fire-up, I know the fins dont have anything to do w/it starting but wanna get them on there.

Heck in my usual 'brainiac' fashion I actually put a wood burner on layaway at R.K. yesterday to burn wood out in the open car port I guess. I'll rin some black 24 ga. out the front of car port w/a rain cap and see how long it takes the compliance officer to shut me down.
Gotta go feed the Parrots I seized from ppl who cant care for them and go to work.
Later...
Meaning my son and my sister

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I been looking at those things on that parts site and I think Im having chest pains because of those prices lol!
A new Zenith carb for $15.54?! WOW!
Anyhow they are calling part # 27 " Gas Strainer" but I cant tell if its the glass bowl or one of those metal fuel-filter type things, and the "Gas Filter Nipple " could be whats coming out of my tank.
I tried to get a pic about 30 mins ago but it was to dark and dont know how to get the flash t.
o go on on this phone so Im gotta take dog out for her binnus before she hits the rack so Im taking a flashlight w/me.
Be back directly
Guess I gotta transfer them first.
There we go, Im certain thats a brass stab or barb fitting. Its pointed in a weird direction kinda almost toward pulley in a way but not enuf to be concerned. But Im not about to mess with that in any way.
Its all gonna be OK tho, got new fuel lines flexible ones rubber type from gates.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Anyhow they are calling part # 27 " Gas Strainer" but I cant tell if its the glass bowl or one of those metal fuel-filter type things, and the "Gas Filter Nipple " could be whats coming out of my tank.
In that drawing, 27 is the fuel strainer (bowl) assembly and 28 is the nipple which connects the fuel bowl to the tank.

There we go, Im certain thats a brass stab or barb fitting.
Right.

To use your fuel bowl, you would remove that right angle fitting, and replace it with a small nipple.

If you want to use the fitting you have, just stick a length of fuel line on it (with clamps) add your inline filter, and run it to the carb inlet. You may also want to add an inline fuel shutoff valve, but it's not a requirement. And leave the fuel bowl on a shelf :)

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to answer you this morning on my phone but I guess I dont know how to do it, it acted like it went but I was thinking that # 28 might be whats sticking out of my tank but I dont know.
Anyhow I went out to put the fuel line on it because Im dieing to see if that thing will fire-up but then it dawns on me that I havn't even put the fuel control cable on it yet! And its about 3' to long so I guess I can just trim it but is there any tricks to it so I can keep the wire sticking out of the wrapping? Its new.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess Im gonna have to not get in to big of a hurry to start this thing considering I dont have the gas line hooked -up and a throttle either.
Keep finding the little things that keep popping-up ya know like I gotta get a shut-off filter wich I have a in-line filter but guess I need to find one that has a shut off on it so I dont have to splice the line again cause to me every time you splice a line there is a place for a prob to occur.
Gotta get a cpl/few starting couplings ( have pix, dont know proper term) but Im gonna have to go to hdwre store or HFT cause I looked for sum the other day at auto-parts store but everything they had was for air and had the right male end but othr end had the flow hole cut down to almost nothing.
So still more to do,...not to mention its cold and windy to that takes a lot out of you.
Here's some pix.
Old fuel coupling/take-off, new throttle-old throttle, new choke-old choke.
CRAP! pushed 'quick reply' instead of 'reply'.....be back

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I was thinking that # 28 might be whats sticking out of my tank
No. You've got a right-angle fitting.

A nipple will look something like this

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Adapters-Fittings/NPT-to-NPT/NPT-Male-to-NPT-Male---Hex-Nipple/1-4-NPT-HEX-NIPPLE-9-5404-4-4.axd

And its about 3' to long so I guess I can just trim it but is there any tricks to it so I can keep the wire sticking out of the wrapping? Its new.
Easiest way to trim one of those: disconnect the handle from the mount. pull the wire out of the jacket. trim the jacket (use a cutoff wheel, to avoid crimping the end). slide the wire back in. reconnect the handle. trim the wire to however long you want sticking out the end.

Don't sweat the fuel shutoff. Just hook it up your fuel line and throttle, and crank her over!

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks a bunch jrd. I figured there was some way I didnt know about to best cut that cable/wire and jackett and keep it all workable, I was about to just take a pair of side cutters to it.

I just sat up in my man-cave and took a Dremmel tool to this original bracket, made a real mess, rust and paint dust everywhere but I'll paint it and try to put it on the new choke and try to use it.
When the weather is bad this is what I will do, take care of the little things.

You can see it in the old choke pic I just noticed lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts