My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TamingTheWild & Wrenching
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've worked on a handful of lawn boys in my time and all have been nothing but trouble. You Lawn Boy guys need to steer me straight :ROF . I can rebuild a briggs and have my lawn mowed before I get a Lawn Boy running, haha.

Provided is a picture of my latest project.

Sitting for 10+ years. Here's what I did....

1st I wash and clean the body.

2nd I check for spark....we have spark

3rd I dismantle and clean the carburetor (check)

4th I test tank for any leaks (none)

5th I sharpen blade (check)

6th I replace fuel lines. (check)

7th I prime and pull and pull and pull

She runs...BUT!!!!

The Boy goes through gas like its going out of style (3 tanks on my small front lawn :fing20:) the bunny rabbit is idle and turtle is WOT (someones screwed with the cable), you can adjust the throttle and it will gradually slow down or speed up occasionally, and you have to prime the thing half a dozen times no matter if you start warm...cold...or what.

Don't get me started on the carburetor/throttle blade design, lol.

My question is...where is the gas going? The needle not seated well?

Its not smoking like its burning tons of gas.

If you go to nudge the throttle up, she will run WOT sometimes. If you go to turn throttle down a nudge sometimes it will flat die out.
I can watch the throttle blade and its barely moving.

UGHHHHHHH!!!! Lawn Boysssssssssss!!!!!

Attachments

·
Formerly LbRookie
893 Posts
If your whole front lawn is dead next week , it came out the exhaust :ROF But if you stick you left index finger in your right ear and hop on one foot while singing the national anthem ... it might start on 2 pulls or less :ROF . Anyway , fuel from the exhaust is needle and seat.

·
TamingTheWild & Wrenching
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take the advice and return the joke

·
Formerly LbRookie
893 Posts
Alot of times if I have issues starting something , I wet the air filter with a little gasoline , this usually fires a mower right up. But like I said needle and seat for the fuel loss.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sounds like the governor is set to fast. Easy fix. Turn clockwise to slow it down. It should click on that mower. It should have a metal Walbro carb.

Others can chime in. Sorry I'm on my phone.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sometimes that air vane governor gets stuck and doesn't quite function like it should. Take off the shroud and check to see where it goes through to catch wind off of the flywheel if. it is binding upJust below the air vane blade is a collar (some are round and some are hexagon) to adjust like wolfy said. This adjusts the tension on the throttle spring. I think the round collars you can just turn, the hexagon ones you have to slide up or down before you can turn it to make your adjustments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts