My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a few grape vines between the Apple trees in our orchard and the deer have stripped most of the leave off a couple of the vines. Last year we didn't have a problem. We are going to try an electric fence an see if that helps.

Cloud Sky Plant Tree Vehicle
Plant Plant community Sky Tree Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape

·
Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
5,220 Posts
Get a cross bow and turn them in to freezer food! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
At least the apple trees are high enough they can't hurt them much. Generally I am skeptical of any fencing other than 8' deer fencing but the hot wire might work.

This is what I put in before planting.

Plant Tree Sky Land lot Wire fencing
Sky Plant Tree Land lot Grass
Plant Tree Land lot Grass Wire fencing

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I have a couple beds filled with Hostas, several varieties. This year the deer have eaten off every leaf on them, leaving the bed looking like a package of celery stalks at the grocery store. Last year the left them alone. Noticed more bedding down closer to the house than last year. The take off when I walk the dogs but are less afraid of us. We do not feed them.

Other items this year vs last:
Frogs in the lake are much fewer.
Same with fire flies, they are there, but not as abundant.
Turtles are the same, maybe a few fewer seen laying eggs on the lawn. Snappers still number a few seen so far, same as year ago. One "buddy" that visits the garage is now measuring about 14" front of shell to back.
Deer Flies are awful this year, there were virtually none last summer.
Mosquitos are abundant, much more than last summer.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Could try peppermint essential oil on rags attached near where you don't want them to eat.

Reactions: cjet69

·
Citizen of Earth
16,761 Posts
The vineyards near me all have super tall fences, maybe 10 or 12 feet tall to keep deer out. At the bottom they have tight wire fencing. like chicken wire to keep the raccoons, chipmunks, rabbits and other critters out. The investment has to be huge to protect their vines.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have trouble with deer eating things too. Two years ago after spending the winter in the south we found that the deer had eaten all the green leaves off a rhododendron bush we have had for many years as well as several other ever greens in our landscape. Last winter we saw a small group of deer (12) almost every day from our kitchen window. This year I have seen them eat the tops off our tomatoes we planted outside our fenced garden as they were extra plants we grew.
Last year they devoured our sweet potato plants. I live in a wood surrounded by farm fields so I know they have plenty of other things to eat. One thing I know for a fact, deer do not eat turnips. SIL suggested I give them a food plot on the edge of our wood to draw them away from our house and he said to plant turnips. I have seen no evidence deer eat turnips.

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Hot wire is the best bet. I've lived with them in my front yard daily for 22 years and nothing other than that or high fencing will stop them. I tried all the folk remedies to keep them off my plants and gave up when they were munching the wife's Elephant ears with bars of soap, dryer sheets, and my dirty socks hanging off of them.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beautiful orchard!
We let it really go for many years and started to reclaim it the last couple. The trees were like a trellis for the blackberries and grapes. Back then the deer couldn't reach the grapes since they were in the tops of the trees. Here are some before pics in 2018 and as we started the cleanup in 2020.

Plant Sky Grass Tree Grassland
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Sky
Plant Sky Natural landscape Land lot Tree
Plant Tire Sky Wheel Leaf
Plant Plant community Sky Ecoregion Natural landscape
Plant Sky Natural landscape Branch Twig

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At least the apple trees are high enough they can't hurt them much. Generally I am skeptical of any fencing other than 8' deer fencing but the hot wire might work.

This is what I put in before planting.

View attachment 2555626
Thats an awesome fence. How many trees do you have in your orchard? Might be a little overkill to save a bucket full of grapes. The deer mostly eat apples that fall on the ground unless they find some low hangers.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
We let it really go for many years and started to reclaim it the last couple. The trees were like a trellis for the blackberries and grapes. Back then the deer couldn't reach the grapes since they were in the tops of the trees. Here are some before pics in 2018 and as we started the cleanup in 2020.

View attachment 2555698 View attachment 2555703 View attachment 2555699 View attachment 2555701 View attachment 2555702 View attachment 2555700
Wow what a transformation. A lot of work went into accomplishing that. Well done!

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Thats an awesome fence. How many trees do you have in your orchard? Might be a little overkill to save a bucket full of grapes. The deer mostly eat apples that fall on the ground unless they find some low hangers.

The fence pictures were before planting, in 2016, 2017 & 2018, 680 trees were put in, they are doing good. This spring in bloom. The last pic is what a row looks like from the end
Plant Green Tree Slope Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Natural environment Tree Land lot
Plant Land lot Agriculture Tree Groundcover
Plant Tire Wheel Nature Natural environment
Plant Plant community Branch Tree Natural landscape
Plant Flower Plant community Grass Shade
Plant Tree Hedge Natural landscape Land lot
:

·
Super Moderator
15,207 Posts
That is some beautiful yard @c5rulz (y)...I have seen deer at my friends farm on hind legs and hopping up a bit to get apples out of trees...he only has a few apple trees and does not care so much for them and he loves seeing the deer in his fields ...he actually plants about 6 acres of corn for them to come and eat ...he sits on the porch with his wife and grandson and just enjoys watching them

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@c5rulz, Great looking orchard. The hillside reminds me of the orchards in Eastern WA. though your surrounding landscape is much greener.

Reactions: bontai Joe
1 - 20 of 34 Posts