My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, after six years of looking for one, I got one. It’s not that there haven’t been ones around, but it’s one of those attachments that can get very pricey. That’s not uncommon for Gravely attachments that appeal to both the collectors and the users. The recent examples that I’ve seen for sale were very nice and very expensive.

This one showed up on eBay.

$_57.jpg

I figured it would go for close to current pricing (outside of my budget), but I was at least going to try. I placed my meager bid (last seconds of course) and expected it to be out bid. But it didn’t happen. And I won it.

A bit of history for those who don’t know. The trencher attachment was not built by Gravely but by Crowley Ridge Machine Works Inc. out of Jonesboro Arkansas. It was sold by Gravely dealers as a third party attachment. They were designed to run off of a two wheeler or the front of a rider. They were also adapted to run off of the back of a rider. The base model could dig a 5” wide by 30” deep trench. With an extension, you could get down to 44” deep.

4249d1100637978-gravely-trencher-tool-pics-trencher2.jpg Gravely 44in trencher 05.jpg

For the research I have done over the years, there appeared to be two designs.

The first design used an early rotary plow drive that had an auger that discharged to the operators right.

4250d1100638004-gravely-trencher-tool-pics-trencher3.jpg 4248d1100637899-gravely-trencher-tool-pics-trencher1.jpg

The later design used a quick hitch rotary plow drive that had an auger that discharged to the operators left.

IMG_1913.jpg IMG_1911.jpg

Of course, I wind up with the odd ball, a quick hitch drive with an auger that discharges to the right like the old style.

IMG_1760.jpg

I’m interested in hearing from other owners about their equipment and experiences with these trenchers. Does anybody have any more info on them?

·
Super Moderator
13,204 Posts
Clearly I need to get into Gravely's there are some awesome attachments out there for them! Congrats!

·
4K Poster and climbing!!!
4,156 Posts
Good score Ron. That would simplify some of my water re-direction efforts. Sigh. Another Gravely attachment on the want list!

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I remember seeing that on ebay, glad you were able to win the bid. Personally I'd love to have one, often times they are out of my price range, curious as to how well they do in rocky soil....guess you'll find out

Sent from the MTF Free App using a device with auto correct

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember seeing that on ebay, glad you were able to win the bid. Personally I'd love to have one, often times they are out of my price range, curious as to how well they do in rocky soil....guess you'll find out

No kidding! I live on a flint mine.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
A flint mine huh? Well that explains why you needed the loader and excavator. You've got the grader blade for the haul roads... yep... you are setting up to go Gravely Hobby Mining.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
No kidding! I live on a flint mine.

Ron I remember all too well the amount of rock the MD grows, as a kid helping with projects in the yard you couldn't dig an inch without hitting a big rock.....I remember digging post holes with a gas powered posthole digger, I bet I broke a dozen shear bolts that day.

Really cool attachment, wish you lived closer, I need a 200 foot trench dug in nice soft dirt.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You really would enjoy the Loess soil we have in Nebraska not a stone in in with depths of hundreds of feet . the only stone is what has been placed by man or is in different strata , yes we have sand and gravel deposits , just not rocky soil like New England for example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loess_Hills

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have had two, a four bolt and a quick hitch. Like the Contractor, Terramite they work as advertised, provided you learn how to use it. If you are going for a deep trench you make make a few cuts depending on soil content. Used mine and it tossed rocks out. Very effective unit.C.V.

P

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I mounted mine on my 5665 to see if all turned well. It does. The chain is free, but does need oil. No bearing noise, but I'll need to lube the chain to eliminate that noise. If it wasn't turning backwards, I would dig a trench.

IMG_1810.jpg

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I mounted mine on my 5665 to see if all turned well. It does. The chain is free, but does need oil. No bearing noise, but I'll need to lube the chain to eliminate that noise. If it wasn't turning backwards, I would dig a trench.
Are you going to have to flip some things around?

·
Super Moderator
11,149 Posts
Very nice Ron. I've been wanting to install a sprinkler system out east. Subpullers being super rare, a very rare trencher would also be great to use, even if it meant using 90 degree fittings with the lines.

Hmm, you wouldn't have been the "buy it now" er of the Crowley gear reduction units, would you?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ron, I have the extended long unit. What a bear to mount, two person concept with floor jack. You state yours runs backwards? Somewhat confused as it should still open a trench? Funniest thing I did first using it was go forward and wondering why it would not dig? Good thing my "technology superior German wife goes, hey try going in reverse!", problem solved and the rest is history. Keep me posted on the " Creeping Crowley"

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you going to have to flip some things around?
No, I can't on this one. It looks like the ones built with the old style drive can be reversed, but the ones with the new style can not. So this one will be rear mounted on a rider. I have a 73 816 that just right for the job.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So it's designed to go on back of a rider?

They are directional. I had to look close to see it. If you look at these pictures closely, you can see that the front mount drives have the top bolts to the inside of the trencher. If you look at the drive on the rear mounted drive, the top bolts are to the outside to the trencher.

Front mount; front mount.jpg

Rear mount; rear mount.jpg

Very nice Ron. I've been wanting to install a sprinkler system out east. Subpullers being super rare, a very rare trencher would also be great to use, even if it meant using 90 degree fittings with the lines.

Hmm, you wouldn't have been the "buy it now" er of the Crowley gear reduction units, would you?
No, $1,200.00 was too much to pay for them. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts