My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1080 Posts

·
GrandPa
857 Posts
Larry, looks to be a good plan. I can agree on the weather, supposed to be 99 here this weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, I got started, then hit my first snag. I thought I has tires for this I could use, come to find the front are 8" rims and the ones I have are for 6" :crybaby: and they were still holding air when I took them off the rims. I had been saveing those for almost 10 years, so i tossed them (they had sealant and some dry rot anyhow). :Disgus: Guess I'll be getting new front tires right off the bat.

Good news, I got paint for the rims.

Attachments

·
GrandPa
857 Posts
Kinda hard to stretch those 6" tires on 8" rims. LOL

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Kinda hard to stretch those 6" tires on 8" rims. LOL
I think that would be easier than what I just went through removeing one of the 8" tires. :biglaugh: Reverted to using a jig-saw, dremel W/ cut off wheel, small bolt cutters, and large wire cutters.
Well, there's your problem:banghead3
I hope the Rear are easier ........ :lalala::lalala:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The Rear 23X10.50X12 was easier, I went right in with the saw and dremel :drunkie: Didn't even attempt to break down, hardly broke a sweat.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
A real quick check on the hydraulics and the rear end would be to see if there is fluid up to the level... on the back of the trans there are 3 bolts (square heads I think) the middle bolt (half way up the back of the trans) is the full line.. pull it and see if anything pours out. if so, you are probably going to be "okay" with the hydraulics and trans. If its really low, then you probably have a leak somewhere. I'd bet the rear end will be fine, they are pretty stout.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Paron me for butting in but is that picture of the ford with lights in the rear fender above the wheels a 195 ...?

Mike
Yes, its a 195, pretty rare. bigger 2 cyl engine, different frame, power steering... hardly comparable to the 120 - 165's

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Pulled the plug on the rear end, completely dry! Nice shiney gears in side. Looks like it has been leaking for a while. This is the cruddiest thing on the mower, and will need to be removed and thourly gone over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I want to drop the deck this evening, it looks pretty straight foreward. Remove the two front bolts (Circled in Red), then the one rear hanger bolt. Someone said I would be impressed with the ease of the deck removal / install. It does look easy, but I think Hulks is easier, Drive up-over deck and connect the 4 quick realease pins. No tools needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You definitely want to clean that off since those fins keep the hydro pump cool, provided the fan mounted on the driveshaft is intact.

For the deck, don't remove the bolts. Follow the hanger down and see the latches holding the front of the deck on. Here's the manual for it. See page 7 for the pic of the latches.

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Would have been easier to remove the deck before you suspended it in the air. Watch your fingers now. Remove the drive belt, unhook the latch on the front of the deck itself, and push the deck back a few inches and it will drop to the ground. Could probably do it in 30 seconds if I were pressed.

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks all, Small floor jack was used, Had to loosen the tention pully to get the belt off, rest was ahem... easy. Deck looks good, rust came out of the mandrals when I turned the blades about 1/2 turn. Sounds really dry. Lots to check out still. Stay Tuned. :trink40:
Dang it's HOT!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ok, Now I have PB Blasted every bolt and nut that I can find (1-1/4) cans used. I have taken several detailed "pre-dissambly" pictures (18) to be exact. (I attached 4 of the more interesting shots).
Next is to free up space to start bringing the "Blue Money Pit" into the shop piece by piece for evaluation and potential rebuild.

Tried to remove the battery, Guess I need to "cut" those bolts on the terminal, Battery hold-down came loose fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
OK, I seem to be having some non tractor issues, and have the following questions.
I am having second thoughts on this build.
I may be spending $1500 - $2000 + on this rebuild (parts available)
Don't really need the Ford mower as I already have (2) capable Craftsmans
I have bought some of the paint that will be needed $25.00 (can be used else where)
If I do this, It would be more for the Fourm and to keep me busy.
1. How many are following this?
2. I already received support. but will need more to continue.
3 Anyone interested in parts?

I guess what I am asking is for Support and comments as I struggle through this build.

Larrybl

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Keep it goin I'm following along!:thThumbsU I've got the same tractor in about the same shape so I'm paying attention.Have you thought about getting it running and usable before going forward with the full on project?

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Definitely keep it going! I am interested to see how the ford ends up - even if you decide you don't want it, you could finish the restoration and sell it and at least get your money back.

Doug

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks Pigsitter, After getting a good look I relized this was going to be one of those $1500 - $2000 builds. I am excited about this as it poses many challages and I was trying to make sure i had MTF support, as I had with the HULK II project where I ended up with a second engine and a sleve hitch and a 42" blade. I spent close to $1,700 on Hulk but he is earning kis keep.

Still going foreward,(for now) More support (Remarks, Questions, Manuals, Parts) will be needed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There is no doubt that even those members who are not commenting enjoy a good documented build and will follow along.

In truth you will probably not recoup money invested if sold after rebuild.

Best reason I can think of for the build, besides keeping busy doing something you like and regardless of if you need it or not is a genuine admiration for the piece of equipment being restored. Also knowing you are restoring and will own a quality piece that can't be bought without traveling back in time.

I love the design and engineering of the tractor itself.

What's your overall impression of the tractor so far?

41 - 60 of 1080 Posts