My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Whirly, that's an impressive collection. I saw a lot of the horse drawn equipment in the barns of the farmers that I grew up around to include our own. My father and grandfather had mules and horses so a lot of drawn equipment was still around stored as I grew up. Thanks for the pics, took me down memory lane for a bit!
when I was about 4-5 years old we went out to Gramps farm.. it was mid Nov.. we had to finish gettin the corn in from the field.. Molly & Dick were hitched to the wagon with a huge bang board.. there was snow 2 feet deep everywhere.. us kids got the job snappin the ears off the corn & passin them to gramps.. us kids had on kid sized snow shoes which made it nice.. we had to run almost to keep up.. never will forget that day..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Whirly, lots of great pics of the old iron and old wood. I wonder what happened to all the rest of that old machinery that was made back then besides what that guy has in the four barns.

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Whirly, lots of great pics of the old iron and old wood. I wonder what happened to all the rest of that old machinery that was made back then besides what that guy has in the four barns.
durin WW1 & WW2 they had steel & tin rationing.. all steel went to make tanks & other stuff.. a lotta stuff was sent to the scrappers..

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,743 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Again Whirly, thanks for all the pics!

It takes a special person to do what Mr. Pearson has done. Wife and I looked at the photos. I couldn't help but wonder how much of the world of yesterday would have been lost had that museum never been built; if it'd just been too difficult; too much time, money, frustration; too little interest.

Your many pics of his work only goes to help keep our past alive. One example in particular was the 'PLANTERCHECKWIRE' display. Not having an Ag background, I never knew there were so many variations.

In a thread on another forum, one guy wrote just today how family heirlooms are being thrown into the trash by upcoming generations. I imagine that most of the history we have now about our past is due only to those souls who understand the need to keep a record of the past.

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
BTW guys.. it SNOWIN here now.. ground is white.. & trees r still green with leaves on them..

·
forkz
5,791 Posts
thanx for the pics whirly my dad use to borrow a mule from a friend to work his garden he carry me to his house on sat morn i would drive him home mules name was clyde

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Didn't realize JD was red all those years ago! I found those sheets of who bought out whom very interesting!

Nice set of pics there, Whirly!
I thought JD was always green too till I read the article.. that alone made me go see it all..

Again Whirly, thanks for all the pics!

It takes a special person to do what Mr. Pearson has done. Wife and I looked at the photos. I couldn't help but wonder how much of the world of yesterday would have been lost had that museum never been built; if it'd just been too difficult; too much time, money, frustration; too little interest.

Your many pics of his work only goes to help keep our past alive. One example in particular was the 'PLANTERCHECKWIRE' display. Not having an Ag background, I never knew there were so many variations.

In a thread on another forum, one guy wrote just today how family heirlooms are being thrown into the trash by upcoming generations. I imagine that most of the history we have now about our past is due only to those souls who understand the need to keep a record of the past.
u ought to see how many styles of 'barbed wire' that has been made in the past.. that list is a lot longer.. our history no matter what the topic is will get u amazed.. so much of it is almost all lost..

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
well in the past I've been tryin to get the glares out of pics of the brochures.. the second pic is Mr Pearson contact info..

Attachments

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
now guys.. I didn't get pics of all the stuff in the barns.. I hope that if ur near Marcus Iowa u may stop in for a look.. he has 24 wagons already.. he may find another rare one.. wagons were the most used implements that farmers had..

as a kid I can remember listening the ole AM radio (tube type) & the tunes of the Grand Ole Opera out of Nashville Tn on Sat night.. that radio was powered up with a battery.. I didn't see one of them in his collection.. nor did I see anything about the home life & how they lived..

now if ur interested in the mag ('our Iowa') u can call 1-888-341-5878 (monday-friday 8 am to 10 pm & sat 8:30 am to 5 pm central time).. they can set u up with a subscription or online at Our Iowa Magazine - the magazine that celebrates all that's great about living in Iowa

41 - 52 of 52 Posts