My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great friend.. in the past he gave me a subscription to the 'OUR IOWA' magazine.. while on a garage sale I found old copies of the Mag.. in one of them I came across an article.. (the Aug/Sept 2017 edition) OLD WAGONS and BUGGIES and Reapers-- OH MY!!!!

well the other day I set up a walk thro of 'The Barns'

made the trip to Marcus Iowa today.. which is about 45 miles from us.. now for the pics..

I will try to upload twice each day.. uploadin pics is slow here.. so far I have 99 pics..

on edit.. in the second to last pic my friend is on the right.. the owner of the barns is on the left..

Attachments

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pics.. I also suggest that u click on the pics.. then when it comes up click on it again.. it will open in a new window & will b enlarged to it's fullest..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
That's a nice collection. I like that Studebaker.

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more pics..

Attachments

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more pics..

Attachments

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the first pic shows a red JD machine.. a ##9 planter.. around 1925 JD was red.. IH was green.. they swapped colors then..

Attachments

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in the first pic & second pic is the first sickle mower

somehow I forgot to get an outer pic of the sheepherders wagon

Attachments

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Toledo! And you made it out of there on the first day? WHY?!?!???
we had a 2 hour time limit to go thro 4 barns..

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more pics..

Attachments

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
final pics for tonight.. I did find out that I can upload 4 pics without going over the 16MB limit.. so I'll do that per postin.. there is still 65 pics to go.. I may add a few to that too..

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whirly, thank you for the pics!!

2 hours? For "4" barns?!? Nope, I couldn't do it. You're a stronger man than I! *lol*

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,059 Posts
What a treasure trove. Really, really love that Standard Oil Polarine tanker. Great pics, thanks for sharing!

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What a treasure trove. Really, really love that Standard Oil Polarine tanker. Great pics, thanks for sharing!
there is an interesting thing about that tanker.. the raised lettering on the outside is ALL backwards.. like u need a mirror to read it.. some of it had a grinder applied to remove the lettering..

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whirly, thank you for the pics!!

2 hours? For "4" barns?!? Nope, I couldn't do it. You're a stronger man than I! *lol*
it was done in a huge rush.. only one barn has heat in it.. the last one.. the outside temp was in the lower 40's.. he had name places on most of the machinery.. I also told the owner that I would b posting all the pics on MTF.. after we got home I had a call from him to reconfirm the addy for MTF.. I do have his E-mail addy & I will send him the link to my posting.. I also think we need MTF to create a positing area for all horse drawn implements.. this is part of our history..

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
durin our tour I found out that the farmers used a skid (it had 3 runners on it that would leave tracks in the soil 44 inches apart)... they would mark the field in 'squares'.. then the planter would lay down 3-4 seeds at the intersection of the squares.. I did get a pic of one of the markers.. it was hung from the ceiling.. I will make a comment when I find that pic..

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,897 Posts
You like that sort of thing and aren't that far away, Henry Wrap's Pioneer Village near Kearney, Nebraska has several 2 story buildings full of machinery from lawn mowers to 32 team, yes 32 team, horse drawn harvest. He collected from lead pencils to airplanes and locomotives.

Walt Conner

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You like that sort of thing and aren't that far away, Henry Wrap's Pioneer Village near Kearney, Nebraska has several 2 story buildings full of machinery from lawn mowers to 32 team, yes 32 team, horse drawn harvest. He collected from lead pencils to airplanes and locomotives.

Walt Conner
that may b on my bucket list to see.. thanks for the info.. I just did google it.. here is the webbby I found..

https://visitkearney.org/directory-posts/harold-warp-pioneer-village/

·
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gonna try more pics.. the tank that has backward printing on it is the thrid pic.. not the one in the 10th pic..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts