My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I need to buy my first lawn tractor by the end of the week (pretty excited) and think that I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Simplicity. The basic 18hp Regent with Kohler engine would be about $2300 with tax and the 20hp Briggs V-twin would be around $2600. The dealer wasn't pushy in trying to upsell me to the Briggs engine, but what do you all think? Is it worth the extra $300? Would I notice a difference in performance or is it a future maintenence thing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dyno what?
Dynomometer, measures the torque produced by the engine. The problem arises from where you test the engine, if you are a manufacturer wanting to hood wink the public you quote measurements taken directly from the engine running on a bench and out of the tractor.

If your a buying member of the public you want to know what the engine produces at the rear wheels and at what RPM. That way all the friction in the gearbox, axle and wheel bearing's are into the calculation.

So when someone says this tractor is 20hp, the question you should be asking is where that was measured. Lots more to this than my swift explanation. I suspect JD and the rest state the hp the engine makers gives them before its fitted into the tractor.

DDN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Diesel.
I hope everyone is having a relaxing Memorial Day and thinking of those who made such a sacrifice.
I have about 6 days to decide on my lawn tractor choice, (see first post) and to be honest I'm not that concerned about the hp difference. I'm going to be cutting grass on 2.15 acres of pretty flat yard. I am interested to find out if the extra $300 would be well spent on the Briggs & Stratton engine and also what the basic benefits of having a "v-twin" engine could be. I've had a Briggs push mower for 6 years and it hasn't missed a beat. So...I don't want to spend the extra $300 if there is no benefit (we are moving and paying all those BS fees to the bank!) but I also don't want to look back and find out that I could have made a better investment for $300!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would go with the twin. You can never have too much power. If you want to tow a small yard cart or something then you have the ponies to do it. Just my opinion. Briggs makes a good motor. You said yourself that you have a Briggs mower and it works good. Why switch up. Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks F250.
So would I potentially notice a differnce in power because of the xtra 2 hp or is the v-twin configuration the reason for the slight upgrade?...apologies for the lack of mechanical knowlege - I'm actually pretty handy but missed the mechanical gene! When it comes to tools I learned a long time ago that a little extra money can prevent years of cussing - I'm just not sure in this case, and I need to decide by Friday!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The twin cylinder has more rotating mass which would translate into more torque. You should be able to notice a nice difference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my brother just bought a deere from lowes, i want to say its 26hp im sorry to say i can out pull him with my old 16hp mtd , how do you say no sac:ROF

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have no experience with the specific models you're discussing.

However, I've always been very pleased with my Briggs motors - they're found on a lot of stuff, so finding parts 10 years from now shouldn't be a nightmare. If you're not a DIY type, the Briggs is also going to be an engine which just about any small engine repair shop worth spit will be familiar with.

My 314 Simplicity - a 1965 garden tractor (not lawn mower - it has PTO and a plow, etc) has a 9HP Briggs 23D motor, and it's still going. I have a 7.5KW generator in a shed outside my workshop that is driven by a late 1970's vintage 16HP B&S, and it too is still going (I was even out just this afternoon giving it a start, as it is a good thing to do with generators). I've various other yard tools driven by them as well (tiller, chipper, wheeled string trimmers, push mowers). Sure, some parts for the officially "antique" engines are harder to come by, but they're not unknown.

My riding mower is a Husqvarna LGT 2654 - which is a 26HP with 54" cutting deck. I've been very happy with it. Even has an hour metre which makes tracking maintenance intervals much easier. It too is powered by a B&S. It's been reliable and strong, though admittedly, I've only had it for about 2 years, so I'm nowhere near the point where it might be expected to show signs of being tired in any way.

I'm also a fan of there's no replacement for displacement. More HP is a good thing - you'll hate yourself when you run into a situation where you're bogging down. The flip side of that coin is that even if you're not putting the extra HP to use, the engine is going to be more thirsty than a smaller one, though the difference of a few HP here isn't going to amount to much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot F250, junkie and Sean.
I think that I will go with the 20hp V-twin. As I'm sure all of you know, when you are shopping for tools/tractors/beer, the next level is so tantalizingly close, "heck honey, a few hundred more and it's sure to be a good investment"...so I'm finding that although a wider deck would be nice, sort of sticking to a budget is good too! Thanks everyone - I'll be cutting my grass for the first time on the weekend enjoying the Briggs purring.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I'd go with the Brigg's powerplant over the Kohler. Have experienced and heard more issues with Kohler than Brigg's engines.
My Conquest is a 23HP v-twin and is smooth running!
MU

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kohlers are usually quieter and smoother running IMO. Both are good engines and you can't go wrong either way you go. It would be a toss up to me having used both engines.

Edit: Just saw the date on this post, so how do you like it :trink39: :fing20:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Firstcut either engine will do just fine UNLESS....the Kohler is the Courage model. I work for a dealership that sells Simplicity,Cub Cadet,Exmark and Kubota equipment. We see a lot of customers each year(10,000+ service tickets/year) and the Kohler Courage is one of the worst we've seen for first 25 hour engine problems. Problems included governors and balance gears flying apart. Stick with a Kohler Command or a Briggs!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts