My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Now that it's blackfly and mosquito season I try to do less standing there haha. The new-used radiator cowling came in today, it's in excellent shape considering it's 40+ years old. Took a couple pictures of it, just need to get the fenders squared away yet and she's ready for sanding or sandblasting and a paint job anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Lessons in futility haha

I took to looking into the leak on the front planetary this weekend and ended up with a fairly sizeable road block. After taking the case off which contains the idle pinion gears and then slipping the sun gear off the axle shaft there is a lock nut, spacer and bearings there that need to come off to get the ring gear out and get in deeper. Only problem is the lock nut is a type I've never seen.

It has 6 pin slots on it and requires an oddball special tool to remove. The 40 year old manual has a part number for it of course but no where I have checked
(AGCO, New Holland) has it been in service and not surprisingly so. Anyways after quite a bit of searching I may have found it or one that will work (I hope). Apparently some 70's and 80's Ford and GMC 4WD 3/4 and 1 ton trucks used this type of locknut as well. I was thinking I'd have to get a 67-68mm socket and make a tool at first but now I guess it will be the last resort.

Anyone run into this working on a Fiat or something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Well I picked up the seal for the front hub, the inner brake seal to fix the leak in the dry brake chamber (leaking from cotter pin), rain cap for the muffler, and a new seat (finally) today. I dropped the fenders off for the welding repairs too.

I ordered that 6 slotted lock nut socket and it was advertised as 2 5/8" which to me would mean 2-5/8" should be the inside diameter like a socket is, however it showed up today and was outside diameter (?) so suffice to say it didn't work. I talked to the guy at the dealer while I was there and he said to just use a long chisel punch so that's what I did. The old seal was a bit of pain to get out but the new seal went in pretty good with a block of wood and then using the old seal and a block of wood to drift it into it's seat. So that leak is fixed (I hope).

I took the old seat off before dark and noticed that there's a leak around the left side rocker arm for the hydraulic lift LOL. So I guess I need more seals. That one should be easy enough to fix.

I planned to take pictures as I went today but it was a pretty oily job and didn't really want to cover the ipad or phone in oil haha. It was an unsurprisingly simple and quick procedure really. I might tackle the brake seal tomorrow but I'm guessing pulling the final drive and a loaded 14.9x28 isn't going to be fun, quick, or easy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You're a model of perseverance, Matt! :D
So today I took to changing the inner brake seal which involved taking off the final drive carrier. I took a few pictures of the process as I went today and sacrificed an oily screen on my phone.

I started off by removing the seat, cutting off the fenders (I have new ones to go on and the old bolts were too far gone to mess around with trying to undo them), and jacking the tractor up. I have to replace the seals on the two rockshafts anyways to I took the point arms off and out of the way (had to undo the travel limiting chain on the final drive carrier anyways). I took the step off as well though it doesn't really HAVE to come off to take the final drive carrier off. In order to take it off you have to disconnect the foot throttle linkage up to the bellcrank where it ties into the hand throttle.

Then I stuck the jack under the tire, took some weight off of it and undid the lug nuts, quick swat with a hammer and it was off. Not sure how much fluid they put in the tires when they loaded them but it's quite a bit.

I rigged up a set of chainfalls and a rope sling setup to take the final drive off as it shows in the manual but I think a cherry picker might be handier.

Slid out pretty good once the bolts were out, getting it back in was a bit more of a chore but still not too bad.

Before shot of the brake chamber

After shot of the brake chamber

The brake band and drum looked good, cleaned them up and they should provide good service for quite a while yet.

A picture of the seal

Pretty simple operation to get at the seal once the drive carrier is off. Take the 6 bolts out and the seal seat comes right out along with 4 shims - AND any tranny fluid that is sitting higher than the rear axle LOL (had a moment of stupidity there). Pounded the seal in with a socket, the old one was a bit of a pain to get out.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Well Matt it's been a couple weeks since I checked in and wow, you have been going strong. Thought the old girl sounded good in the video. You're sure doing a great job what with paint, seal replacements, and everything else. That tractor will be good as the day it rolled off the assembly line when you get done. Reall glad you are finding the parts you need and keep up the great work.
MikeC

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well Matt it's been a couple weeks since I checked in and wow, you have been going strong. Thought the old girl sounded good in the video. You're sure doing a great job what with paint, seal replacements, and everything else. That tractor will be good as the day it rolled off the assembly line when you get done. Reall glad you are finding the parts you need and keep up the great work.
MikeC
Thanks Mike, BOSOX and everyone else for following along. There have been a few hiccups along the way but so far I've generally been enjoying the process. Sometimes I realize I am very ill-equipped for doing some of this work equipment and work space-wise and am forced to improvise somehow but it seems to be working out so far. Probably the biggest challenge with taking the final drive off was getting the wheel back on haha. That leak was bad enough I didn't feel comfortable running it for extended periods and the hub leak would drain the liter or so of gear oil out of the planetary within a week so at worst it gives some peace of mind and I don't have to leave drip trays under it anymore. The cotter pin on the other side was seized in place until a few weeks ago when I broke it loose and has been seeping very dirty crappy looking oil since but very very slowly. I'll pull that side off and change the seal on it shortly since it'd be nice to clean up the brakes and check them out - now I know what I'm in for anyways. Not sure what this weekend holds tbh, ordered the seals for the 3-point lift arms and the other inner brake seal so we'll see what happens.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Well, there's nothing wrong with improvising. In fact I think most of us do that when working on the older equipment. And I know you keep telling us you are "equipment and work space" poor, but you are doing a he!! of a job bring that baby back to life. And you are doing it in true form. I believe that folks that most folks (farmers) that owned trackers like yours had to improvise for most of the repairs cause I'm betting they also didn't have a lot of specialized tools laying around, and the expense taking it to someone was normally out of the question. So if you think about it, you are fixing a tractor using a lot of the same improvising that folks of that era did. Keep up the great work.
MikeC

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Nothing really new on the tractor front lately. I changed the 2 seals on the rockshaft last weekend and today I went and picked up an 84" landscape rake.

It's in pretty good shape needs 2 tubes for the tires.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Getting serious now if you're gathering attachments. Guess we'll be seeing photos of you doing some landscaping any day now. Seven footer is a serious rake. Gonna need a bit of room to turn around. Keep the updates coming.
MikeC

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm still alive - just very busy.

I've gotten the front tin painted and back on the old girl, one fender is ready to go I just clear coated it today. The other fender is ready for paint but space is at a premium atm. Of course I couldn't wait any longer so I got the tin back on and threw the new rake on and attacked my yard with it haha (I had dug it up last summer and it was full of rocks so bad that no grass would grow so I had to knock the weeds down with a weed eater so no real loss). The tractor worked mint and the rake performed well as well. All around pretty good.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Boy that tractor has come a long way, great job!
I was just going to say the same thing. When you scroll back to the first posts, you could find it hard to believe you're now looking at the same tractor. Matt, those pictures, and the work you put into it to have it perform like, or better, than new is a testament to your diligence to make sure that everything was working as it should. Always looking forward to updates, so don't forget us as you tool around on a great rehabilitated Field Boss.
MikeC

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks guys! I used to stand there and stare for a while because I was trying to figure this beast out, now I just like to look at it haha.

I got the one fender on today and the other one painted. I'll clear coat it next weekend and it'll be ALMOST done. The small pieces of plate that connect the fender to the floorboards were so rotted out I had to get new ones made. I haven't gotten them yet so they will need to be painted and put on as well but if not having fenders didn't stop me from using it then not much will at this point.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Small update...

I've actually been using the tractor the last couple weekends which feels pretty good. Got the loader back on (not painted yet) but now I'm having an issue with almost non-existent power steering. I know the cylinder under the battery leaks a little bit (I have a rebuild kit for it to do this winter) and I've bled it a couple times so I'm thinking pump at this point.

The linkage/adjuster to the left side brake sheared off so I ordered a new one of them. I need to order a block heater and get that in sometime. I haven't got the pieces of plate that connect the fenders to the footboards yet and I haven't fixed the other brake seal yet but the list is getting smaller finally.

One of the tractor salvage yards here has a 4 post ROPS for it so I've been toying with the idea of trying to pick that up.

I'll take some pics tomorrow with the fenders back on and maybe a quick video driving it or something.

I'm kind of spreading myself thin atm since my time on MTF got me interested in messing with a GT so I bought a G5200 Kubota which I'm kinda tinkering with when I have a spare 5 minutes here and there. Missed out on a 46" snowblower for it this week because I have a job! **** oh well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Can't figure out the wiring issues with the fuel/temp gauge - probably going to save that for a winter project at this point I guess.

Have been using the tractor quite a bit. Got the new power steering pump in and the steering unsurprisingly improved quite a bit.

Pictures for the fenders turned out kinda crappy too sunny I guess sorry about that.

Pump was a bit of a bugger to change and I ended up snapping one of the pipe fitting bolts off in the old pump - such is my luck I guess. Had to modify a 2 prong puller to pull off the drive "wing" on the tapered shaft of the pump but nothing too crazy. If I have time I'll do another video this weekend.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
I don't have anything to add, (like suggestions on what to do) other that glad everything is working out as far as using it and THANKS for keeping us in the loop. Glad to hear from you. You have done some amazing work on this tractor.:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU
MikeC

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
After trying to start her in -20 celcius to plow the other day I realized the block heater is non-operational. Like many things with this old girl figuring out what P/N I need can be a chore. I figured it out and ordered it but I figured if someone else on the internet has the same tractor and is trying to figure it out via google like I was then I'll post the P/N's here.

3/4" NPTF
P/N 30-3141748 heater element

Mounts in Elbow (elbow in lower rad hose below water pump and containing drain tap as well)
P/N 155612A

Cord
P/N 30-3141756

Surely enough after I found what I was looking for the hard way I called the AGCO dealer and he just pulled it up like it was nothing haha.

I picked up a 7' snowblower for it as well.

I also ordered a 24'x24' steel building for a shop so come springtime I should have a nice home for the tractor(s) and a decent place to work on them :tango_face_smile:

41 - 60 of 64 Posts