My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Citizen of Earth
15,226 Posts
I'm enjoying your thread also. I recognized the odd fuses from my mis-spent youth when I had a '65 VW bug. The car only had 2 sizes, 8 amp and 16 amp if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm enjoying your thread also. I recognized the odd fuses from my mis-spent youth when I had a '65 VW bug. The car only had 2 sizes, 8 amp and 16 amp if I remember correctly.
They sure stumped me for a little bit. I showed them to a mechanic buddy and he just laughed. Glad to see some people poking through this thread haha. Spent most of the day today working on chainsaws but did get a bit done on the tractor.

Apologies for all the sideways pictures. For some reason my phone does this when I load them on the computer. When I first started the thread I was using the ipad for pics and they came out normally.

Fenders primed up though they still need some repairs but I didn't want to leave them bare metal for too long. The bright spot on the one in the background was a color of paint I was trying out, for whatever reason it came out very bright in the picture.

Couple pictures of the stack all painted up and installed less the muffler clamp on the bottom (like the plywood hood? haha it was raining sideways so had to put something over the old girl since it's in an open front shed). You can see the welding work done on the elbow as well. Hopefully it holds up to vibration.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
Looks like the loader arms will now clear the stack. Progress, and has to be a feeling of satisfaction. Biggest problem so many of us face is how to make/replace the parts that are no longer made. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good job.
BTW, I don't do phone photos so this may be a dumb question, but... Looks like you were holding phone vertically. What happens if you hold it horizontally? Would they come out alright? As Tom Bergeron use to say on AFV, "WHEN SHOOTING WITH YOUR PHONE, SHOOT SIDE TO SIDE SO THE IMAGE IS WIDE." I don't know.
MikeC

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
New lift pump arrived today and fuel filters a while ago so I'll be tackling that on the weekend, probably not worth a post but it's one more thing ticked off the lengthy list. Hopefully with the new filters and lift pump the diesel leaks will cease or at least be easier to isolate moving forward. I won't be able to get at it until the weekend but I'll post the process as I go through changing it out etc.

I took your advice Mike and shot the pic side to side haha. Turned out upright and proper.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Another rainy weekend is here >.> but it gives me a bit of time to do some small jobs on the tractor. I got the new lift pump earlier in the week and have had the fuel filters sitting here for a while since I ordered a complete filter kit from ITP when I first bought the tractor. Although I can't say I'm surprised by what I found but the tank may need a swabbing at some point by looking at the crud in the first filter with the sediment bowl on it.

not sure if it will zoom in far enough but it's filthy haha

The upper pump was quite a bit cleaner but still had some small sediment in the bowl.

The lift pump went in easily. But I was figuring on making a new gasket for it since I didn't get one with the pump, however the new one had a bit nicer setup with an o-ring and slot/quide for it to sit in - no need to make a gasket.

Just has to get four M12 copper crush washers for the two banjo fittings on the lift pump, other than that it was a pretty simple operation. Bleeding the system only took a few minutes and the old girl fired right up no problem. The only thing I noticed during this task was that the inside of the intake manifold is FILTHY which isn't very handy. I should have been thinking a bit more and got the starter rebuilt before doing this since in order to take the back bolt out for the starter you have to have the fuel filter off. Oh well cross that bridge when I get there.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I guess today was one of THOSE days working on the tractor today. I went out this morning to give the battery holder and air cleaner a squirt of primer and was hoping to get a coat of paint on today BUT when I looked at the fruits of my labor from the previous day I only found rotten fruit. The glass sediment bowl was leaking on the first filter. Soooooo I tightened the bolt down a bit and the bowl exploded which made me very happy. So after that and some choice words I carried on with the planned operation since I can't get a bowl probably until next weekend.

After putting a coat of primer on the air cleaner and battery holder I got thinking that it was the perfect time to take the starter off and see what was up in there...First of all it's a bugger to get out since the power steering pump head is in the way just enough to not let the starter come out. Anyways, I got it out and found a mess

That's the ring gear on the flywheel

Drive gear on the starter

I really don't know what the **** to do with that. Either way a "new" starter is happening but if it's going to make the missing/grinding issue worse than what's the point. In no way shape or form do I WANT to split this tractor and I don't have the facility to do it in or am I willing to put the money into it to have it done by someone else. Awesome.

Anyways, here's a couple pics of the air cleaner and battery holder

I have a rather large list of things to get for the upcoming weekend so I'm sure there will be more posts and pics on the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I guess throw a new starter at it and hope for the best, that stinks!
That's more or less my theory as well. If it holds up until it needs a clutch I'll look after it then, if not then I'll face that when it happens. At worst it ruins the drive gear on the new starter and goes back to the way it is now. If they only let people who look after stuff buy stuff it would make our lives easier, lol. Though there would be a lot less stuff out there to buy.

·
Administrator
12,202 Posts
Maybe figure out how to change the starter drive on your own and just change the part as necessary. If the part is available it might be cheaper than paying for a rebuilt starter if it wrecks the drive gear again.

·
Registered
753 Posts
enjoyed the thread, I have one of the Fiat predecessors to your white, it a Oliver 1355, and it is now in its 47th year of use with over 11000 hrs. on the original engine has had only one clutch change and some normal wear parts changed out

you might already know about this guy up in you part of the world, but I will share a link anyway hes been great to work with when I need something
Your White 2-50 Tractor Parts Source!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Maybe figure out how to change the starter drive on your own and just change the part as necessary. If the part is available it might be cheaper than paying for a rebuilt starter if it wrecks the drive gear again.
I was originally thinking that but I called two "local" starter & alternator shops and neither of them could source parts for the original Magneti Marelli starter. Lucas, Bosch, and Lester I guess made the same starter and parts for those are available but not interchangeable with the Marelli apparently. The only reservation I have about using the old starter is that the solenoid was sticking on me in the winter (never was sure if it was the switch or solenoid or bad battery tbh) and that maybe a laggy engagement on behalf of the original solenoid/starter caused this issue to develop? I don't really know. I thought maybe it would become crisper with a brand new much larger/better battery but it didn't, I guess 12V is simply 12V.

I ordered a new one since I want to get the old girl back together this weekend and in the meantime I'll try and source a new drive gear assembly for the Marelli and have it as a spare starter I suppose. Yesterday's Tractors I think it was has the drive gear assembly but won't ship internationally unfortunately.

I also picked up a landscape rake the other day for windrowing rocks and stuff, I'll post some picks when I pick it up this weekend.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
enjoyed the thread, I have one of the Fiat predecessors to your white, it a Oliver 1355, and it is now in its 47th year of use with over 11000 hrs. on the original engine has had only one clutch change and some normal wear parts changed out

you might already know about this guy up in you part of the world, but I will share a link anyway hes been great to work with when I need something
Your White 2-50 Tractor Parts Source!
Thanks for posting and following the thread! I enjoy hearing about the high hour Fiat's, that's mostly the reason I bought one. Mine has more than a decade on me at 41 years old haha. Some people claim them to be unreliable and quirky but the majority of feedback I got before buying mine was that they are tough as nails.

I haven't dealt with Danny directly but have ordered a few parts from ITP. Interestingly they are actually only about an hour and a half from me. Very handy to have a parts distributor dedicated to Fiat's and other imports.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Great thread, stumbled upon it and you are doing awesome work! I am down near Windsor in Amherstburg, where abouts are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Keep up the great work :)
Thanks for taking a look at the progress! Some days I feel like I'm just standing there staring at stuff and scratching my head more than getting stuff accomplished. I live in a small town of all of about 100 people located roughly an hour North of Belleville in the middle of the Canadian Shield (not kidding). I envy your location in terms of used tractors - there's always lots of nice ones for sale over that way. Plus Fawcett's AG Salvage is close by as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Back at it again today between rain drops. Got the new starter this week, it's a Lester model and probably 2 inches shorter than the old one which was handy for putting it on since I didn't have to take the head off of the power steering pump. I also put the new fuel bowl and another filter on it today and so far it isn't leaking. I fired it up to prime it and the starter hasn't missed a beat the few times I've started it and it seems to work better than the old one - all positives so far. I want to post a video of it running but it's been raining here so that will have to wait.

When I was having the problems of the starter sticking on it melted the coating of the ends of the 3 wires running to the terminal on the starter so I cleaned that up today with some new ends and stuff. The + cable still needs a new end - it's on the list.

After the rain started I moved into the shed and put a second coat of primer and first coat of paint on the battery holder and air cleaner.

I'm not the best painter but for this stuff it's not about looks it's about covering it up so it won't rust any further.

Nothing too crazy, hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow otherwise I could get someone to come bale hay off my lawn.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Glad that starter did the trick, hope it holds up for a long time!
Me too haha. I forgot to mention that I found and bought a new-used radiator cowling off a 2-60 from a tractor salvage place last Wednesday so it should be in shipping right now. I have a new pre-cleaner on the way from ITP too.

I guess the new fuel bowl did the trick it's not leaking as of yet.

Once the rad cowl gets here I guess it'll be time to start pouring the elbow grease to the rest of the tin. The fenders are going out for the minor welding repairs this coming week (I think/hope). Starting to come together in that regard anyways.

I'm planning on ordering the inner brake seal to fix the tranny leak and might take another look at the front planetary tomorrow and figure out what I need for that. The bush is dry enough to work in now without rutting everything up so I'm missing out on working time at this point but oh well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

You may have noticed when I opened the fuse box that the second fuse from the camera was blown, that is for the dash and hence why I kept turning the key and they turned the video off haha. When I was putting the tin back on I had the key on and think I grounded out the back of the gauge. Stole another fuse and it hasn't blown since anyways. Hence the second video.

I kinda sounds crappy in the shed, has a nice snap to it when you bog it down a bit but the Fiat's aren't the nicest sounding diesel anyways - imo Deutz wins that one. I would have pulled it out for a bit of a drive but the tin is just basically sitting on it right now not bolted down.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,226 Posts
Been enjoying the thread. Like you, I've spent many a moment standing there scratching my head, pondering the universe before me and creating a few choice words on occasion. I think that's how the world got built in my opinion. Good to see you making good progress!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts