My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, me again! Not something I'm working on at the moment but...I had GREAT problem trying to get off an engine double pulley off a Craftsman riding lawnmower. The tractor was again, an older model but for the life of me, I could not get the pulley off! I removed the bolt holding it, (that came off easily) but I couldn't get the pulley off. I tried using a 3 point hook puller on the pulley and the only thing I accomplished was to bend the **** out of the pulley! Is there a secret out there on how to remove these tractor pulleys? I finally threw the whole engine and pulley in the backyard bone yard so I didn't have to look at it anymore!:crybaby:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Yes, me again! Not something I'm working on at the moment but...I had GREAT problem trying to get off an engine double pulley off a Craftsman riding lawnmower. The tractor was again, an older model but for the life of me, I could not get the pulley off! I removed the bolt holding it, (that came off easily) but I couldn't get the pulley off. I tried using a 3 point hook puller on the pulley and the only thing I accomplished was to bend the **** out of the pulley! Is there a secret out there on how to remove these tractor pulleys? I finally threw the whole engine and pulley in the backyard bone yard so I didn't have to look at it anymore!:crybaby:
LOL if it's a good engine don't toss it, I've had this problem also.

The easiest way I found was to soak the pulley and shaft in PB Blaster or Kroil for a few hours or days and tap on the sleeve part just to get the rust broke loose and keep soaking it, then use a puller to just start putting pressure on it then tap it with a hammer.

9 times out of 10 it just falls right off.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Yes, plenty of PB or similar and a few days for it to do it's magic.

Then use a bearing splitter to take the load off the fragile pulley and just pull on the hub.

Mike

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
I've drilled two 5/16" holes 180* apart close enough to the hub to get bolts in and used a harmonic balancer puller to get them off w/ great success and no bent pulley.
Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great ideas! I certainly should have tried something like you mentioned but...my frustration got the best of me and I really messed up the pulley! This was an older, much older Craftsman tractor that made it most difficult to take the engine out...almost impossible bolts to get at where the belt keepers were located...I even cut both belts just to get the **** engine out of the engine compartment. I guess at this point, I wasn't even interested in fixing the thing in the first place! I will however try the tricks you suggested next time I have a similar problem. Thank you all for your feedback!:thanku:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,555 Posts
I've had to resort to tack welding a large nut to the bottom of the pulley ,and screwing in a long threaded rod or bolt,to pull off the pulley,then grind off the welds and remove the nut...some times you can leave the nut on,if the hole in it is big enough to let the bolt pass thru it that holds the pulley to the crank..I have used that method to get stuck rims off on axles that use keyed hub rims too.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Great ideas! I certainly should have tried something like you mentioned but...my frustration got the best of me and I really messed up the pulley! This was an older, much older Craftsman tractor that made it most difficult to take the engine out...almost impossible bolts to get at where the belt keepers were located...I even cut both belts just to get the **** engine out of the engine compartment. I guess at this point, I wasn't even interested in fixing the thing in the first place! I will however try the tricks you suggested next time I have a similar problem. Thank you all for your feedback!:thanku:
We've all been there! I bent the pulley, and simply cut the belts on my SS's when I was restoring them. I also cut the steering wheel off with a sawzall after two weeks of the pb blaster treatment, and every puller you can think of :trink40: What model craftsman is it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting idea! I understand how you'd spot weld the large nut at center but how would you then pull the pulley?

I've had to resort to tack welding a large nut to the bottom of the pulley ,and screwing in a long threaded rod or bolt,to pull off the pulley,then grind off the welds and remove the nut...some times you can leave the nut on,if the hole in it is big enough to let the bolt pass thru it that holds the pulley to the crank..I have used that method to get stuck rims off on axles that use keyed hub rims too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea of sawing the steering wheel off...haven't tried that yet! lol The tractor is a 917.252683. It's a very old one with I think an 11hp Briggs. That's why I kinda gave up on it...it's not very mechanic friendly...you know, kinda like new cars are nowadays where you have to pull the engine to change the spark plugs??

We've all been there! I bent the pulley, and simply cut the belts on my SS's when I was restoring them. I also cut the steering wheel off with a sawzall after two weeks of the pb blaster treatment, and every puller you can think of :trink40: What model craftsman is it?

·
15,000 +posts!
20,555 Posts
Interesting idea! I understand how you'd spot weld the large nut at center but how would you then pull the pulley?
When you screw in a long threaded bolt into that nut,it'll bottom out on the crankshaft and it "pushes" the pulley off...I usually put a bolt back in the crank like the original that held the pulley on for the bolt I screw into the large nut to bear against,that way you dont need a real long threaded bolt,which isn't always easy to find,and most of them are soft steel..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Duh! Boy, sometimes I don't see the forest for the trees! What a great idea that is! Thanks for the additional info!

When you screw in a long threaded bolt into that nut,it'll bottom out on the crankshaft and it "pushes" the pulley off...I usually put a bolt back in the crank like the original that held the pulley on for the bolt I screw into the large nut to bear against,that way you dont need a real long threaded bolt,which isn't always easy to find,and most of them are soft steel..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had 2 set screws on mine.......does yours?.......JB.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts