My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything seems great when it is new, but many times the new car smell starts to stink. Last spring I bought a little lawn tractor and a mower - both have retained that new-car aroma. After installing the battery in my 11 month old X300 and doing my usual pre-cut check I tried to start it. Tried to start it? I did start it. That puppy fired right up and purred like a kitten. I love that little tractor.

Next, I pulled out my Honda HRR216PKA that I use for trimming around the gardens and our pond. Again, check the oil, gas and visual inspection. Turn on the fuel shut-off valve and give it a gentle pull. Once again a purring engine. One pull, last season's gasoline (not real gasoline either, but that ethanol-infused garbage) - God bless Sea Foam.

This year our little fifty foot pond had a layer of filamentous algae on it, worst than any other year. That is probably because of an extremely mild winter. We're close to Lake Erie and normally if Old Man Winter had picked up the SS Edmond Fitzgerald from Lake Superior and blown her 450 miles south-southeast it wouldn't have been a surprise. This past winter was different, only a couple really bad snow storms. The lady I love and I took a lawn rake and a garden rake and snagged the goop and deposited it on the lawn. After reaching out and clearing everything within five feet of the banks we tuned on the 1/2 horse fountain in the center and let the spurts, jets and little waves push more stuff to the banks. Rake, fling and start over. This garbage looks slimy but feels like wet silk threads.

After it sits for a day or two it dries out into a papier machete like sheet that is very light and fragile. The mulching blades and insert on the X300 turned the dried green gooze into dust. Some of it needed more dry-time so I'll still have something to do.

I am very happy with our two mowers. Those two compliment each other and make yard maintenance a joy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah man!Gonna share some with us?
I dumped in some Aqua-something dye and that should stop the franken-algae from growing. That stuff is like a 1950's horror flick monster. I have a half-pint of the dye left and I put in a half cup this morning.

1:00 p.m. light rain - stop

3:00 p.m. tsunami falls from the sky for 45 minutes

6:45 p.m. Mother of all rainstorms causes pond to double in size and totally overwhelm the 4" overflow. All traces of dye obliterated due to dilution. Tomorrow morning I'll throw in a pump and donate the spare water to the storm drain out front. Thank goodness I bought date-expired fire hose from a state college surplus sale. Three sections of hose and the water is on its way to Lake Erie via the scenic Cuyahoga River.

I gotta cut this short, the LOML needs help inflating the life raft. :praying::praying::praying:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts