My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to all of you who helped me find the manual and parts list for my Case 446 Onan engine, it's really appreciated a lot! Guess what! I have another question. Here it goes....what would cause the engine to blow gaskets. We put new gaskets on where they should have been replaced when it was rebuilt, but it has blown one again under the breather area....I know some of you know the story about the terrible rebuild, and the motor blowing oil, but that story will have to be written another day! Right now I'm just full of questions.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Yes, I remember the story quite well. It can be found here.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=141804

And so can my reply post at #2.

My opinion hasn't changed since then except that the cost of a full gasket set is a lot more than I quoted. I'm not trying to be harsh here but at some point you are going to have to conclude that your engine still needs to be rebuilt. Only this time, find someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think you're right. We repaired all the gaskets, double checked the breather and found it was reassembled wrong. Anyway, I ran it around for maybe 15 minutes, it started to run really hot, (normally I could wear shorts will riding), then it began to lose power and again start blowing oil. We are now thinking about getting a different engine, same as this one, but with less hours and hopefully some good years of good work left in it. We were trying to figure out how many hours ours really has on it... just figure 23 years of maybe 3 hours average each week. That sure speaks greatly about these motors/ tractors. I have a tiller I might try to sell or swap to get a hold of a different engine. Wish me luck!

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
This is what a professional engine rebuilder charges to do your engine properly.

http://tinyurl.com/2dtlb95

And that's with you sending him your bare block and heads. Someone has to remove your engine from the tractor, strip off all the tin, starter, carb, manifold, exhaust etc.

And then when the rebuilt enge comes back, someone has to put all those parts back on and put the completed engine back in the tractor. So, realistically.... how much of a rebuild to you think you got for what you paid?

Keep in mind that the Onan you have is custom made for your tractor. An Onan from a Deere or Sears or any other tractor is going to be spec'd differently which means it may not work in your tractor without some serious changes. Before you buy any used engine, you need to know exactly what it came out of and you need the engine spec number so you can compare it to your engine spec number.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your troubles but I'm glad you got all of your money back, hope everything works out for you and you get it going again soon. :goodl:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts