My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mrs and I took a road trip to East Texas (Rusk) and road the train at the Texas State Railroad.

The trip was a 4 1/2 hour ride thru the piney woods of East Texas. It ran from Rusk, Tx to Palestine, Tx.

Here is a video of the Steam Engine that pulled our 4 car train..CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO..The engine was built in 1901 by A.L.Cooke and weighs 79 tons..

Along the route, we were held up by some train robbers and were treated to a gunfight during our lunch layover in Palestine.

Here are a few more pictures..

Click on the thumbs for a larger view..

Attachments

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Ken,

Thanks for sharing the pics! :)

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Thanks for the pics Ken. I took that trip some years back. We may have to do it again if we can get a reservation. They are usually booked up pretty far in advance.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Thanks for the pics Ken.

I love old steam locomotives. Looked like it was a great day and the weather looked good too.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pics Ken. I took that trip some years back. We may have to do it again if we can get a reservation. They are usually booked up pretty far in advance.
I called last Monday and booked for Saturday!! Yes, the 2 A/C cars were full!!

PS: Drove thru Mineola...Nice town..:trink40:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I called last Monday and booked for Saturday!! Yes, the 2 A/C cars were full!!

PS: Drove thru Mineola...Nice town..:trink40:
If you got on that quick, the bad economy must be real. When we went it was a waiting period of over a month.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Ken

Thanks for the pics and it sure looks like fun! The pics kind'a had a Texas feel to them. :ROF

·
Leo E Hanus
57 Posts
Glad you and Donna had a good time. Sounds like it was a real good trip and hopefully with this heat you got into the air conditioned car.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,544 Posts
Nice shots. We have a scenic train ride nearby but they use a diesel loco. Ain't the same w/o all that smoke and noise. :sad_02:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello, just joined and ran across this thread. I live near the station. At times there are lots of visitors. In 2000, Robbie Knievel jumped the train about where you are standing in the first picture. There has also been westerns filmed around the train and track run to Rusk. Glad you enjoyed it.
--
rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts