My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mowed a yard today which tested the limits of my 680540 Lawn-Boy. I rebuilt the engine last winter, and I've always thought it was ****-for-strong. This 8-12" grass took it to the limit. It ring-dinged its way through it eventually, but it's the only time I've kind of wished for a Duraforce.

I did not fare as well as the mower. It was 95º today, and I had to stop halfway through and rest for about half an hour. Proof that I'm not a kid any more.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
a lawnboy usually will cuy what a rider cant. you should see what i have to mow with my 22261.no other mower will do the job

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
i mow yards like that all the time and my 5239C really doesent have a problem,nor does the 8310. but i i mulch that then there will be big problems.and LBdan is right-i tried to take my good ol MTD though the same hight of grass and the lawnboy ended up finishing the job,i constatly killed the rider and drained the battery.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
If the heat isnt too awful, I like mowing just for the excercise. I work my dog butt off all day in the heat but most of it is standing around and auto or crawling under or through it. Nothing gives a good workout like mowing a larger lawn with a walk behind, even a self propelled model beats sitting and getting fatter, and I dang sure dont need to get any fatter!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If the heat isnt too awful, I like mowing just for the excercise. I work my dog butt off all day in the heat but most of it is standing around and auto or crawling under or through it. Nothing gives a good workout like mowing a larger lawn with a walk behind, even a self propelled model beats sitting and getting fatter, and I dang sure dont need to get any fatter!
I hear ya FT. The last 2 years I've only put about 6 hours on my 52" ZTR because my walk behinds have become my exercise program.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear ya FT. The last 2 years I've only put about 6 hours on my 52" ZTR because my walk behinds have become my exercise program.
Haha, maybe you will appreciate my recent post on Facebook, meant to be tongue-in-cheek because I get a lot of crap on my Wall about Mafia Wars, which I don't play.......

Melrose Plant--Mower Wars: Melrose Plant has nearly completed his Lawn-Boy army, which will take out the evil ZTR-equipped lawn services, but he needs some more side bagger prop rods. Can you help? Five, please.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ive had to cut some pretty high grass and it amazes people. They got these $99 Pushmowers and these big fancy Toros, and they constantly have to stop and start back. I plow right though high grass and im sure there all not lawnmower nuts like me, but it still amazes them. they ask me all the time what kind of lawnmower i got and what it is. My 10547 can plow through high yards in 3hrd gear without slowing down.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I love gunning down just about any grass with my 5247 and 7268. I usually haven't found anything that will kill those on side discharge (key is a nice sharp blade and clean deck) dial up 3200 rpms and you will MINCE anything. Yeah they droop some rpms when the grass is up to almost as high as their engines-but I just slow the pace down and they blow through it like a snow thrower.

Who needs $650 machines when 64th hand $35 lawnboys can do it better.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thats so true. As much as i like my JD 14SB, it sucks going though Thick high grass. Going though thin grass, cutting on a high setting(rich peoples grass is what i call it) its awsome, its a big expensive machine but it ant worth a quarter in high grass. My $100 10547 eats thick grass like a fat kid eats little debbies.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thats so true. As much as i like my JD 14SB, it sucks going though Thick high grass. Going though thin grass, cutting on a high setting(rich peoples grass is what i call it) its awsome, its a big expensive machine but it ant worth a quarter in high grass. My $100 10547 eats thick grass like a fat kid eats little debbies.
You should see the DF when you use a R-Tek Pilot and punch the main jet out with a #68 hand drill bit UNSTOPABLE !:greendr:

Something about the old OMC built 7268 and 5247 just makes me giggle they sound cool, light and really taunt the owners of bigger $$$ mowers around here. I like when they ask me what-zit those green little mowers you use? How much dey cost? I say "Old lawnboys" .."Usually cost $35-$50 bucks"...
Then they look ill.....:thSick:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I must have an odd JD cause I can plow thru grass as high as the top of the engine shroud in second gear without any problem. :D
I bet it could plow thru taller grass if it had a blade that moved more air

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
I think the kind of grass you are cutting is relative as well as moisture content. Tall fescue will cut better than rich thick plush summer grasses simply because you arent cutting nearly as dense grass. Cutting in the evening will be different than cutting in the morning.. etc. Ask Dan, he has loads of cutting experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gotta love the Lawn-Boys in heavy grass! My son took these pictures on his cell phone the other day, cutting some of the heaviest grass he's run into this year. This was on a severe slope, but our model 5247 is held in place by the long growth. We made some mod's to this mower just to be able to handle such long stuff; we call it our "off road" version, since we've added 10 inch wheels in the rear, and moved the 8 inch wheels up front. Nothing will stop it. :trink39:

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
that is some serious shag man

i've heard of it&i'd do it too
take the toe guard off the bottom so it wont clog

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
More pictures of the 5247 !

·
Registered
41 Posts
More pictures of the 5247 !
OK, here ya go! We also refer to this as our "Town & Country" mower....here it is in "Town" mode, cutting level 1:

And here it is jacked up on 6 for "Country" yards:

This one shows the wheels spaced out for clearance with a bunch of washers:

And one last view showing the max. ground clearance:

It actually comes in handy for first-time, long yards, where you don't know what kind of junk you're going to run into. And since we never find ourselves going lower than "4" with our stock Lawn-Boys anyway, the larger wheels actually result in a pretty useful range.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts