My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Subbie
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened to think(?) that you may need to have the SG tested on occasion. I found it was not a simple task. The local Advance Auto couldn't do it on their computer test unit as they could not find an "item#" for it. Went to a local pricy lawn equipment dealer, a John Deer dealer and they had no idea of what it was?
I remembered an old repair shop in New London CT, Harleys on Broad St, located in the basement of a house. His father started the business 80 years ago. It is an interesting place as old starters and generators are stacked to the ceiling and you have to walk down a path in between them. Hadn't changed since I was there years ago.
As I stood there on the "path" I asked him if he could test mine, no problem, after a 5 minute warm up it was putting out 7 Amps, the max! Asked him about the stuff and the fact the path was only a foot wide and another layer was starting on part of the path. He said he considered scrapping some, but had missed the high end of the market. Gave him $2.00 so he could get a cup of coffee and worked my to the door. He is a decent guy, he had just finished rebuilding a Delco Remy SG. He said you need a high amp battery, due to the low charging rate of:howdy: the SG, he is right!

·
Administrator
21,836 Posts
What a shame that shops of this nature are so few and far between. The guy really knew his stuff, but technology has probably passed him by. And, along with that technology, you get places such as AutoZone, Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc. They can throw stuff on the computer, but if the computer doesn't know the answer, you're out of luck....

Thanks for sharing.

·
Subbie
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I went to another old timer, a talented mechanic and his tester had broken down and it was too expensive to repair, he wishes he still had it. You can probably locate someone by making phone calls to Auto Electric shops and asking if they can test a SG. I found two others, but they were far away in CT. So check out your area to find someone prior to needing the test, they may also have good info.
Dick

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
In most cases if a starter/generator works to start an engine,it will also charge--an old friend of mine taught me in my teens that "If it'll motorize,it'll generate"....99% of the "no charge" troubles with them is the regulator,if it spins as a motor..

I think there "might" be one old time starter/electric motor repair shop local to me--most places I have tried bringing my antique stuff into to be tested either wanted too much to do it,and or wanted to do it "later" and make me come back a day later--or just blew me off entirely...

I miss the good old days when there was more "backyard" shops with experienced people who knew our old machines inside out..it seems we're a dying breed..
While listening to "Car Talk" one night,I heard a call come in from a guy with an old truck that had carb problems--the hosts first suggestion to get it fixed "right" was to find an old mechanic that didn't have many of his own teeth and gray hair--or go to a nursing home and see if you can find an old mechanic still living that knew how to fix those old things,and hasn't gotten althimers yet!...sad but true...we searched a long time to find someone to rebuld a Pakard "Utramatic" automatic tranny when I worked the junkyard--my boss finally found a 80 year old guy in RI that was still able to do the job--took him 4 months to rebuild 2 of them,and make another one out of 2 parts trannies--but they worked perfect after we installed them!..

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Had a local starter/generator rebuilder who rented a cubicle next to a Mack truck repair shop. He did great work on my starter, rebuilt the whole thing for short money. All the local 'hot rod' guys had stuff done there. He wasn't an 'old' guy, either. Sadly, my starter was the last thing he rebuilt.
He closed his doors and sold all his remaining new/old/rebuilt stock to another rebuilder in Whitman, MA. Seems as though nobody nowadays rebuilds stuff. Just buy new and throw the old one away. Costs less.
Rhode Island Electric Rebuilders in Pawtucket, RI had a similar workshop with a foot wide aisle thru their stock. They did some other stuff for me when I was in RI. Inexpensive, down right cheap, but good workmanship and warranty. Most of the workers came over on the 'ark', two by two. They knew their basic electricity.

I keep on saying, nowadays, not too many people know which end of a screrwdriver to hold on to. Or what it's even used for.

·
Subbie
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
Most rebuilds are a simple exchange of parts. Very few do it as they make more money in new material. Honda operates in this way. Two to four thousand for an engine exchange, no rebuilding. Problem is the techs probably could not do a rebuild. The starter guy showed me a starter off a Japanese dozer or excavator, no parts available for rebuild. His price was $950.00, with a 4 to 6 week wait. Imagine the contractor needing it for a job! A friend who had a garage worked on Toyota trucks, no parts for a simple starter rebuild, new one was $175.00. He finally found a place in Texas who could furnish basic parts and saved money for some people.
Dick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts