My Tractor Forum banner

Testing charging car & mower batteries?

1468 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Tony bachler
In the basement I have over 1 dozen car and mower batteries on the cement floor along a wall. I need to test them to see which ones are good, bad or chargeable. I have an automatic charger and an electronic voltage tester. Should I just test each one as they sit or charge first or? Some have been in storage for over 5 years. Where they sit on the floor is on one side of the landing of the stairs. On the opposite side of the stairs on this same basement floor are the water heaters which were new about 3-5 years ago. I'm concerned about vapors creeping over to the pilots on the water heaters. Maybe I could have a fan blowing on the batteries as they charge to dissapate the vapors?
1 - 1 of 9 Posts
I'd take all of them to the scrapyard,cash them in,an buy one new (or good used battery from a wreck),before wasting time and electricity,and possibly hurting the charger trying to re-charge those batteries..any battery that has sat more than 6 months is likely junk,the plates will be all sulphated..

I had 5 old batteries hanging around for years,about a year ago I took them to the recycler and got 6 bucks each for them,and I took the 36 bucks,went to another junkyard I frequent,and bought 3 used batteries,two Duralast from a diesel pickup that were new in october of '07,and a Interstate from a Honda Civvic that fit my tractor perfect only 3 months old,for 30 more aggravation and tripping over dead batteries,or fears of fire from leaving them on the charger all the time..

I have heard the "wives tale" about leaving batteries on cement..far as I can tell the only harm that might cause is if any acid leaks out of the battery,it'll dissolve the concrete..personally I dont see how current can flow through a plastic case and through cement,even wet or damp cement,myself..

I know for fact having the top of the battery dirty and damp can let current discharge across the terminals and eventually kill it though..put a multi-meter or voltmeter's leads on the positive post and the negative to the case,if its dirty or moist enough,you'll see the needle rise indicating a slight short shop teacher in school showed us that,and said thats why its important to keep the battery clean..
See less See more
1 - 1 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.