My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Blank Space
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 13.5 HP Briggs engine I scavenged from a rider. Last I recall, it ran OK, but that was a couple of years back. Right now it's just sitting on a bucket to keep it upright.

What can I mount it on to be able to try to start and run it? Frame made of 4x4s? Or does it need to be more substantial?

·
4,202 Posts
If you have a piece of plywood...just dill holes and bolt the engine down...the bigger the piece of plywood the more stability it will have

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
I like the pressure washer idea. I was going to suggest finding a free/dead tractor and using the frame.

Mike

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,025 Posts
For what it's worth, I've started and run 10hp snow blower engines with them just sitting as is on the work bench, no bolts or hold down brackets.

110v electric starter of course so no yanking on the starter rope. Just held one hand on top of the tin shroud while the engine danced / vibrated a bit but nothing wild to be concerned about, even reving the engine up..

Yours sounds like a vertical shaft so you may need to sit it over a hole in something. The piece of plywood sounds good.

Heck, the guys in the scrapyard just fire up V8s with them sitting on the ground when you want a running demo.

Not suggesting anything unsafe, just my personal experience.

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Just remembered, there's an old thread somewhere on this site showing a test setup, complete with a battery and ignition switches.

Mike

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,797 Posts

·
Blank Space
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yours sounds like a vertical shaft so you may need to sit it over a hole in something. The piece of plywood sounds good.
It is, with electric start. I kept the wiring harness with the key switch, solenoid and safety switches. Not sure how much of that I need for a test run. There are two wires that run up underneath the tins, but I'm not sure where they go or what they do.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You know you are a REDNECK if:

Kitchen table.:tango_face_wink:

For small engines I use a old riding lawn mower frame. (have tires on the frame so as it can be rolled in and out of the garage or kitchen) Tools can then be left on the kitchen table while testing the engine.:tango_face_wink: Has several different holes drilled in the engine mounting plate for different make of engines.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have an old frame on saw horses but it's currently occupied so for testing a 13.5 briggs I just bolted it to a 2x2 piece of plywoood and clamped it with two big c clamps to my small motorcycle hoist which has hole in middle of platform for shaft to protrude. Lower hoist to lift engine on and then raise to working level for battery solenoid hookup. Nice also is I can wheel it doorway of shop for actual running. I use the hoist for working on them too.

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,969 Posts
Old power washer chassis is a great idea and a friend uses it. I made a semi box with hole in middle which sits inside the bed of a "little red wagon". This and power washer both allow easy moving from one place to another. Just drop in a couple of bolts loose to hold engine.

Walt Conner

·
15,000 +posts!
19,939 Posts
I've used a 5 gallon bucket turned upside down with a hole in the bottom for the crankshaft to stick thru ,for vertical shaft engines..you can bolt the engine to it with a few bolts to hold it secure..a metal bucket is sturdier,but you will have to place it on dirt or put a rug or something under the bucket so it wont vibrate all over the place..

That idea wont work for engines off push mowers that need the blade on to act as a flywheel though..a work bench with a hole made in the center is another way to make a test stand ,you can put the blade on under the bench--just stand clear once it fires up!..

Usually I have at least one junk tractor carcass I could put a vertical shaft engine on to test it out hanging around..
With horizontal shaft engines I usually just start on the ground,bolt them to a plank of wood long enough to stand on while you yank the rope..

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts

·
Rich
415 Posts
Just driving home from a restaurant - this street has tons of apartment buildings and a guy was dragging out a Coffee table to trash - bet something like that could work. Go garbage picking.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,939 Posts
I went to a swap meet today,and saw many small engines for sale..
One guy had a metal 55 gallon drum with a vertical shaft engine bolted to the top of it,so he could demonstrate it...he made two holes in the side near the top that his hands fit thru so he could get at the mounting bolts...
I though that was a pretty clever "engine stand"--just the right height to work on one without bending over or kneeling..

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
One guy had a metal 55 gallon drum with a vertical shaft engine bolted to the top of it,so he could demonstrate it...he made two holes in the side near the top that his hands fit thru so he could get at the mounting bolts...
I though that was a pretty clever "engine stand"--just the right height to work on one without bending over or kneeling..
You went to the swap meet at the Xfinity Center (Great Woods)? I was there too! Picked up a Craftsman bumper and a few wrenches.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Only problem is I would be forever dropping a needed part into the drum. If it could happen it will happen.

·
Blank Space
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Old table sounds better than a drum. I can't play either very well though. (ba-da-bump)

Maybe a pallet on a stand of 4x4s?

This one didn't have a blade, rather a double pulley for a manual PTO. I kept the pulley too, but I can't see that being much of a counterweight.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
This is the engine test frame I use. Bought the engine stand at a garage sale for either $20 or $25 and made mounts and wiring for both vertical and horizontal engines. The wiring is for both battery and magneto ignitions. Currently has a Kawasaki from a JD R series rider on it. Roger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Wow, really great idea!

Can't believe how cheaply you were able to buy the engine stand.

Mike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts