33K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  John1963 
#1 ·
My buddy has a Terramite T5B # 590536,
He states that it really whines under load & would like to know
if that is normal?,He also would like to know what is the correct
fluid to run in the trans.
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
This is from the T7 Manual...at the bottom of this message...

Hydraulic System Oil Change and Type Specifications
When your machine is new, the hydraulic system oil and filter should be changed within the first 50 hours of use and every 250 thereafter.
Refill the hydraulic reservoir with engine oil type API SF.CD 15W40 when outside temperature is above 40 degrees F.
Use engine oil type API SF.CD 10 weight when outside temperature is below 40 degrees F.
Replace filter with Terramite / 2-200.5C filter or NAPA / 1759 filter. It is important to follow these instructions to alleviate any cold weather engine starting problems and any pressure or heat related component failure.
DO NOT USE HYDRAULIC OIL!
MAJOR DAMAGE WILL RESULT!
For your engine oil requirements and change intervals refer to your engine owners manual.

http://www.terramite.com/Images/T7 Parts manual 3 07.pdf

#3 ·
Although what "loud" is may differ from person to person, I would say that the hydraulic traction motors on Terramites are quite loud and whiney. The big thing to remember is only press the pedal lightly when under a heavy load rather than "flooring it". This actually increases the torque and decreases the speed. Best for going up hills with a full bucket.

As far as the correct oil in the hydraulic system, I asked Terramite what to use if I work the Terramite in both 90 degree summer heat and 10 degree winter cold. I was told it is OK to use a multi-weight oil with a lighter heat component, like a 10W-40, etc. As was previously said, DON'T USE HYDRAULIC FLUID!

#5 ·
Hello all, I just purchased a terramite T5B (1985)..Two know problems (1) backhoe boom will not stay up (leaks down) ?? (2) Right hand side outrigg will not stay up(leaks down) ?? (It will stay planted when down)..Lastly and i think most important,
the previous owner used hydraulic oil (I DID NOT KNOW THIS UNTIL AFTER I BOUGHT THE MACHINE) not engine oil. Any suggestions/HELP will be appreicated.

#6 ·
Hello all, I just purchased a terramite T5B (1985)..Two know problems (1) backhoe boom will not stay up (leaks down) ?? (2) Right hand side outrigg will not stay up(leaks down) ?? (It will stay planted when down)..Lastly and i think most important,
the previous owner used hydrolic oil (I DID NOT KNOW THIS UNTIL AFTER I BOUGHT THE MACHINE) not engine oil. Any suggestions/HELP will be appreicated.
:MTF_wel:

You have at least two cylinders that are leaking and will have to be rebuilt...
It is possible you may have to rebuild them all by the time you are done...:(

#8 ·
I take it you have flushed as much of the hydraulic fluid out and replaced it with the appropriate oil...;)

As long as you understand that the cylinders might fail in a down position...meaning you'd have to strap everything up to get home...use it until it fails...it is NOT going to be damaged anymore than it has...just make sure no one is ever in a position for the outrigger or boom to fall on them...:(...until you get it fixed...;)

#15 ·
It might be cheaper to flush the transmission with diesel, drain and then add the oil...;)

#14 ·
TerraQuip Construction Products, Inc.

600 Goff Mountain Rd

Cross Lanes, WV 25313

800-428-3772

304-776-4231

F 304-776-4845

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.