My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly hangout in the "Walk-behind Mower" section, so garden tractors are new to me! This one is in one of my father's barns, and it looked pretty neat to me, especially with the Onan engine. It's a Sears model number 917.253060, serial #1745. The engine is Onan, model & spec BF-MS/2833E, serial #L753137306. I'd like to restore it. I do know it was running when it was parked, which was about five years ago. It had a belly mower, but I think it's long since rusted-out. What's parts availability like for these, especially for the engine. Any comments are welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Onan parts can still be bought but cost some $$$. Some tractor parts can be bought new and ebay has used parts most of the time.

The most common problem with the onan is fuel pump and carb float. They have points and coil like a old car, Pretty basic.

That is a good tractor with lots of power.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
thats an ss16.. the fiberglass dash and plastic tank make it approx. a 1975-76

i have a 1974 and i love it

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SmallFry & Hugh, I was hoping to run into a couple of guys with the same tractor. It does look like it's well-built, my grandfather used it in his garden, mostly. I think the mower deck was almost never used. My dad says that he bought quite a few implements to use with it, they're probably scattered around the place somewhere.

I suspected that Onan parts might be expensive. The engine itself probably doesn't need much internal work if any at all. Stuff like wiring, fuel lines, and ignition components will have to be replaced, along with a carb rebuild. Thanks for giving me a start, I'm going to do a little more research on it now!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Awesome machine! I have 5 of them, and I would recommend anyone buying one! Yours looks in great shape! Better than 3 of the last four i have bought! They are easy to get running, and not too much to maintain. I have tons of manuals for those- let me know what you need!!

It does appear to be around a 1976 because of the plastic tank, maybe had a replacement dash because the 76 usually had plastic dashes that were prone to cracking. I did not find the exact serial number on the vintagesearsgardentractors website, but i can guess it is around 76 because of the 3 spoke steering wheel, plastic tank, and dimpled running boards.

At any rate, nice find!

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Uh oh, thats a franken mower!!! hehe look at the shifter decal its red....the plastic tanks came out in 76 and newer, BUT the dash is the white fiberglass stuff and thas 75 and older!!! also the lower grill is black, so that makes it a 76 or newer, without looking up the model #(which the model # isnt in 75 and older) id say its a 76 or 77...Its a SS16 or 16/6 twin just by the looks...Im betteing 76 though..any how its a NICE tractor, parts will interchange from lots of years!!!!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Onan parts can be pricey and hard to find, but they're out there. e-Bay and patience. Eventually some of the hard to find stuff popped up. Onanparts.com(a member here) is a good resource. I tore my 78 GT( 18HP Onan engine) down when I restored the the tractor. For parts, I just tried hard to work with what I had in order to avoid spending a fortune. Carb needed some parts, but I was lucky enough find them.

Surprisingly, the hardest stock part to find was a set of mufflers in good shape. Joe's Outdoor(another member here and an e-Bay powerseller) had a set that I was lucky enough to snag. People would say "make your own", "oh that's an easy fix", "mount 2 pepper shaker mufflers" etc.. It's just easier to plug and play with a stock set. If your mufflers and guard are in good shape take care of them. Keep an eye on those grill hinges(they break from wear). Biggest problem with those tractors and a real pain to fix(I had to do it). Luckily you don't have a plastic dash, another pain to fix!

Nice find, keep us posted on your progress!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts