My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a TEF diesel grey Fergie that runs like a charm, at least until I ran the diesel tank dry. Now I cannot get it to turn over. I have tried starting it while pressing the fuel pump while loosening off any joints in the fuel line (in sequence) until I see no bubbles then tightening them back up again and I have had success, but once I get up to "d" in the picture below no diesel comes out.

Some notes: I have a full tank. In the picture I have the fuel tap turned off.

Any help greatly appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/FUOQwgv.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Maybe this video will help some.
Although it's not the same pump, and I don't see a bleeder plug in the same place. But, I am wondering if the bleeder plug on yours is at the bottom of the midsection of the pump.

Sure don't want you taking something out, that will cause you more problems. Maybe get the make & model number of that injection pump, then do an online search for a parts listing, or, how to bleed that particular pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, watched it through. There is another good video, that may be of help to others with the same problem:

But as in the video above different parts -- it's incredible how much variation there was, even over 2-3 years.

Another note, I have been spraying Aerostart diretly into the air filter to get the engine going for up to 10 seconds, trying to get it to draw the diesel through, with no luck. The second I stop spraying the engine cuts out.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I'd definitely look up the schematic for your particular pump, and find that bleeder plug, and manually pump fuel that far. Then crank the engine, to get it up to the injector.

I don't now if I'd use too much of that starting fluid. A whiff is OK, long periods will wash down the cylinders of it's oil coating, and you'll have no lubrication. Do it enough, you'll have an oil burner, and/or will need it in cold weather for every start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd definitely look up the schematic for your particular pump, and find that bleeder plug, and manually pump fuel that far. Then crank the engine, to get it up to the injector.

I don't now if I'd use too much of that starting fluid. A whiff is OK, long periods will wash down the cylinders of it's oil coating, and you'll have no lubrication. Do it enough, you'll have an oil burner, and/or will need it in cold weather for every start.
Thank you, and that's good advice on the starting fluid.

I solved it, so in the spirit of so many who have helped me here on the site and on others I'll post the solution that worked for me in case anyone else every encounters it.
http://imgur.com/aC9phc3.jpg

First of all, make sure your fuel tank is FULL, FULL, FULL. Then, using the picture above pump the fuel pump (if you model has one) and loosen off the parts circled in green in the numeric order indicated. Loosen off, while pumping, until all the air bubble disappear and fuel flow freely, then tighten. Note that in the above image #3 is BEHIND the fuel filter.

The key parts I was missing was bleeding numbers 4 and 5.

From there use a liberal "whiff" ;) of starting fluid to help draw through the fuel and soon you will be back and using your vintage grey Fergie.

Thanks all, mytractorforum always comes through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts