My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 5HP model on an Ariens Jet tiller.It's OLD,but doesn't have a lot of hours on it.Any way i tune the carb(carb is CLEAN)it surges.Almost like your turning in off/on over and over again.Any idea's what would cause this???Also,how can i determine they engine year?(i'm guessing "60's)Thanks .EDIT-After some searching,i think i should clean the carb again(even though it looks clean)Anyone know the baseline for the screws?It has the one on the side and on the bottom.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bottom is most likely high speed, you want that richer if its surging. turn both screws in all the way (not tight, just till you feel it bottomed out) then turn each one 1.5 turns out.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Another disatisfied Tecumseh carb owner eh?..wanna join MY club?..:(

They seem to be VERY fussy about govenor adjustments and what holes the springs are put in on the throttle lever and govenor arm,if adjusting does not seem to help a lot..the idle mixture screw does affect high speed running some too,I find setting it a bit on the rich side seems to help my 6 HP Tecumseh not "hunt" so badly..never have been able to get it "steady" really,from day one!..

I suspect my points may be set too wide or dirty too,sometimes it lopes or stutters like its flooding, and black smoke comes out,then clears up instantly and does it erattically..points can mimic a carb problem if they aren't adjusted to specs or are burnt,dirty,etc..I may try one of those "points eliminator" modules on it,see if that helps any..I'll be ticked off if I find out I put 4 different carbs on this motor and still ran just about the same,due to the POINTS being the cause!..(two carbs flooded like crazy though,no matter what I did,so they WERE junk!)..

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
When/if the Tecumseh on my riding mower ever goes south a Briggs will drop right in.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased a NEW FACTORY carb.Well worth every penny of the $82.95 + tax,to be trouble free!This little tiller runs as NEW!!! :trink39: I'll only use it sping/fall,but it'll be nice to have it start up and run for me.I run lead fuel in it,so sitting won't hurt it :fing32: . 1961 Ariens Deluxe Jet (pics before carb swap)

Attachments

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Nice old Tecumseh, I love their horzontal engines, I have a few of them myself, not a problem with any of them.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I bought a few brand new carbs for Tecumsehs in the past,they were only 35 bucks then,and I thought THAT was steep!..thats a good option if you have the cash and a peice of equipment worth the investment,but 90% of the things I drag home from the dump,yard sales,or find free elsewhere aren't usually worth that much money being put into it..

So far I have been able to find enough Tecumseh's with "good" carbs so I can keep all my things running,though it entails "borrowing" one off one engine for the other--it works out though,I use my snowblowers carb on a tiller ,then swap that motor onto a home brewed leaf blower,then onto the snoew blower--have had no carb issues keeping it "used" often enough that way--letting it sit 9 months a year is usually responsible for all my carb woes..even with them run bone dry,or stored with gas stabilzer,they still give grief..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts