My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
tube frame hunter
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I have a question on the tecumseh OH engines used on tube frames,I know they have a internal compression release,I know what a compression release does, but I can't understand what/how does that spring loaded "weight" on the camshaft do anything? the cam seems solid,it doesn't pivot on the gear to advance the cam and I don't see anything going to the tappet or pushrod of either valve to lift it,the factory manual just says new camshafts with mechanisims are available.My pop has one that I'm sure its not working but the"weight" moves on the cam and the valves are adjusted right.Anyone able to enlighten me on theory mechanicals of this particual engine Thanks alot in advance Steve!! :thanku:

·
tube frame hunter
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bushwacker I am looking a a spare cam from a scrap engine and I see a 1/8 inch hole parrallel to the cam lobe.there is nothing in it!! I assume that is where the "pin" goes.I know the cam in question in my pops engine is the same [nothing in mentioned hole].I assume the pin has a "head" on the end closest to the weight to keep it from flying out?I wonder where that pin went,sure didn't see any debris in the crankcase when it was apart.I can actually see a wear pattern on the "shoe" of the weight on this junk cam so it was there on this cam at one time.I now know what to look for when I tear one of these down or look for a spare cam.BTW did these cams have a tendency to flatten lobes? The lobe farthest from the gear is flat on top,nothing like the lobe closest to the gear which is nice and perky.P.S.If I may ask where in Wi are you I'm just west of Milwaukee in town of Waukesha .Thaks again Steve!!!
:thanku:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.