My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... before I tear into this further, is the bolt pattern to crank-shaft alignment the same on these two motors? (same era motors off a Massey)

I know they bolt to the frame the same, but the tractor I just swapped a 12hp into a MF10 is way off on the front belt. It seems very loose, so before I try to adjust it out, is the crank-shaft further forward on a 10hp motor by chance? It's so loose that the belt does not stop when it's in park, nor when I put the brake on!

The good news is that the 12hp transplant went well, and it seems to be running good with the 10hp carb (even though it's a bit smaller, it's better than the poor running and mickey-moused Kohler carb that was on the 12. This is my neighbor's tractor and MTF purchased "doner tractor" I had him pick up to make his stuff into one really good tractor. I had to re-wire a little bit of it, and swap some part here and there, but he will have a good tractor when I am done.
His old one was beat to death and everything was bend, broken, and welded back on. Seriously... The hubs are torch cut 3/4" plate welded to the axle, the hood was beat out to fit a car battery along with the battery box & cowl hacked to fit. The cast steering arm is bent up, and the tie rod to the column is bent and welded. The "deluxe muffler" shield was torched out and muffler placed upright like a stack. The steering column is welded to the dash plate via a muffler clamp... why even the fuel shut off has a "T" handle welded on!!!! :Stop: Then today I stole some of the wiring.... just to find out the harness had sorted out, melted about 16" of wire bare... and taped up with electrical tape! No, not the wire by itself, the harness was just wrapped up with all the melted goodness left as it was! :fing20:

Sorry for the rant... but what the heck is with people?? Oh, and does anyone know about the motor question? (just in case you forgot by now...) :thanku:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sorry, can't help with your motor Q. I haven't been into the 10 yet.

About the butchery. Yeah, it's amazing what some people do, and
call it repairing. Some things I've seen make Mcgyver look like a
brain surgeon.:thSick:

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I,ve seen where one guy had a ball of tape and wires all together.couldn,t figure out how he didn,t burn everything up in that trac.I coined the phase. a ball of insanity wrapped in electric tape.its a fact some folks shouldn,t try there hand at anything.they should of been a vegatable.most likely a potato.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang..no answer yet. y'all going to make me lift that motor up onto the parts tractor just to measure it, Eh?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Not to familiar with your tractor/engine combo, but a even slightly smaller crankshaft pulley could cause you to think the belt is to long.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dang..no answer yet. y'all going to make me lift that motor up onto the parts tractor just to measure it, Eh?
I don't know for sure but I think there the same.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
the only thing I see is on the 12 the pully closeto the engine is bigger than on the 10.outside pulleys look the same to me.outside pullys 4 inch inside pully on the 12 hp is about5/1/4 inch.same distance from bottom of block to middle of crank.

·
Registered
396 Posts
the only thing I see is on the 12 the pully closeto the engine is bigger than on the 10.outside pulleys look the same to me.outside pullys 4 inch inside pully on the 12 hp is about5/1/4 inch.same distance from bottom of block to middle of crank.
All MF10s were vari drive, the 12s were Hydro's or vari drive.
Different pulleys on the 2 different tranys.
And yes these are the HH engines.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Does anyone know if an hh100 geared started will work on a hh120?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Does anyone know if an hh100 geared started will work on a hh120?
theoretically it would. like small fry pointed out, hh100 and hh120 engines are extremely similar. i think i remember searstractorfan saying once that the only difference is the carburetor and piston bore

·
Registered
42 Posts
The AgCO partsbook for the MF10 lists a number of replacement engines, including both the HH100 and the HH120. Looks like an upgrade to the larger bore was a regular option.

George.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
is there anyway to get around these solid state ign.without jumping through your own rect#*.I have two to convert.someone said on a diff post the tecumseh people were working with the chinese to make parts for these engines. does anyone know anything about that.or is it just a bunch of balogna.

·
My True Colors-Red+Silver
728 Posts
They should be the same. I swapped a 10hp tec for a ohv14 tec in an mf10 and it worked fine. I would try adjusting the varidrive

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
is there anyway to get around these solid state ign.without jumping through your own rect#*.I have two to convert.someone said on a diff post the tecumseh people were working with the chinese to make parts for these engines. does anyone know anything about that.or is it just a bunch of balogna.
I have a hh120 I've converted to a Ford Dura-Spark ignition system. Been an interesting project but is coming to a close and should be fine tuned this next week. Once I'm satisfied with the final timing setup I'll take pictures and post a short story about how to go about this.

The engine runs better even now than it ever has and I'm thinking my timing is still a little late. Going to advance it a couple of degrees when I have the time next tuesday then work the heck out of it for a few hours. This is on a dedicated tiller tractor and it gets worked hard.

Reason I went with the Dura-Spark system is because of the automatic ten degree retard on start built into the system and the known longevity and reliability they offer.

Late this next week I should be done with this modification.

Mike

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, they are the same block, just different piston bore.
The block is not exactly the same... I know at least the oil pan sump area is different. The H100 is designed so you can see the bolts that mount the motor. The HH120 has a larger sump that covers the bolts and is much larger. The heads may be the same or close to it, because I used a gasket for my 12 on the 10. The sheet metal tin is not the same either.

I did install the SSI unit on the 10, but I could not get it to fire. The motor has very good compression and I used both carbs on the motor. The 12 motor was running with that coil and the 12 carb. I did have spark with a spark tester too. I swapped the 12 motor onto the tractor and the 10 carb and it runs with the same SSI unit. I can not say for sure that the SSI units are really the same, but I am sure there are just other issues with the 10.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mike, please take a ton of photos and post up the info on that Ford swap. I assume it's very close to what I did with the Chrysler system, right? What did you do for the CPS at the flywheel? It does not sound like you are using Ed Stollers converted SSI unit.

Also, if you can price out the parts you used for this, it would be a great addition.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The block is not exactly the same... I know at least the oil pan sump area is different. The H100 is designed so you can see the bolts that mount the motor. The HH120 has a larger sump that covers the bolts and is much larger. The heads may be the same or close to it, because I used a gasket for my 12 on the 10. The sheet metal tin is not the same either.
QUOTE]

What your talking about is the different designs for the different years.

The oil sump changed over the years. Both HH100 and HH120 have blocks that you can see the bolts and blocks you don't see the bolts.

Some of the heads also changed over the years. Some of the heads on the 10's you could remove the Blower housing tin with out pulling the head bolts. Some heads you had to pull 3 head bolts to get the blower housing off.

You might be able to use a 12 head gasket on a 10 like you did, but not a 10 on a 12. The bore part of the gasket is a little smaller.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts