My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

This is "off topic" as it's concerning a John Deere Walk behind tiller, R624D Ser 030297, with a Tec H60 75389J Ser 4287D engine.

I'm posting here as I believe the Tecs were used in Suburbans and earlier Sears tractors.

Is there a link where I can "decipher" the tec engine info similar to a Briggs? I found one site but it only goes "back" to 2004 and this thing is '70's vintage.

This was free as it was found sitting behind a trailer with a fallen tree on it where it had sat for a couple of years, rain, snow etc. There's no obvious "fatal errors" upon casual inspectiion. Will start disassembly and see what's what.

Anyone have one of these or now anything about them? All I know is it weighs a ton, has a worm gear drive, and power reverse. Based on weight, it's "built like a deere."

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Attachments

·
Man w/skills
991 Posts
Wow, that's the exact same model my folks had when I was kid. That thing was a beast, we had a huge garden and it got used several times each season for years and years. Never let us down, but when all the kids left Dad decided that front tine tillers where made for younger folks and sold it. As far as I know it's still going. Judging by the tines I'd say that one wasn't used very much.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Responses. Skills, do you happen to remember what kind of oil went in the drive train? I've been unsuccessful in finding a manual for this as yet. I did find one at JD on CD Rom, but knowing them, it'll be $45..:) don't misunderstand, I own a farm and everything here is JD green on the big tractors, and I know how expensive green is, but don't want to invest much until I decide what if anything I'm going to do with this.

thanks again,

Ev

·
Man w/skills
991 Posts
It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure the gear box was 80w-90. I'll pull up the service manual when I get a chance (assuming it's on the disks at work) and send you the info.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Jim, The tiller is missing the rod that goes from "squeeze lever" on the left handle down to actuate the pulley to drive the tines. Actually only half of it is there and is dangling off the lever. Could you post or send me a pic of yours as an aid to fabbing something up?

I'm really torn about what to do with this. I currently have 1 rear tine, 1 full size front tine (actually that one lives at my brothers) and 2 of the smaller 2 cycle (mantis and Sears) tillers. My garden is about 50 x 50 and the wife has flower beds, so I don't need another tiller.

That being said, the idea of getting a (almost) 40 year old JD running again is very intriguing. And I do need a winter project since I've retired for the 2nd time. I think I'll just start leisurely taking it apart and see what develops. Also, my brother bought this new, and never really used it, loaned it to a "friend" who in turn let his son have it and that's how it ended up behind the kids trailer under a fallen tree for a few years. There's a moral there somewhere....-) Anyway, I don't think this has 50 running hours on it.

I suppose a "fall back" position would be to simply put one of the Honda Clone engines on it from Northern, etc. That just seems wrong though.

I'll post pics as I get into this to keep you folks apprised

Again, thanks for all the responses,

Be well,

Ev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't no how to post pictures??? Send me a address and I'll get a picture w/dimensions and send them to you. Basically, it's a 1/4'' rod w/thread's that screw into the spring and a short 90* bend w/cotter pin hole in end that hooks to the forward pully lever. Clear as MUD right?
One of my 624's was given to me, like new w/no engine, so I got a new H60 w/reverse power shaft from Northern Tool. But that was in the late 80's or early 90's. Hope you can keep the Tecumseh H60 if you can . I also have the JD service/operators and even a set of tine extenion's.
There is several adjustments you can do with that machine as far as width & depth. Don't get rid of it unless it's to me?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim,

Sent you a "PM" with address. Will be glad to pay you to copy and send any manuals you have.

Don't worry, this will not be scrapped, it will go to you or someone who appreciates and will use it.

Thanks,

Ev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.