My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all
This is the tractor I was talking about for 100$. It is in decent shape and the guy said it didn't run. so brought it home and started to work on it right away. about a hour of cleaning and tinkering it fired up ! I was shocked that it ran. But it did blow blue smoke like a chimney.
So I changed the oil and sharpened the blades and I was mowing..well not for long.:fing20: When I was mowing it started to lose power so i played with the carb and away I went. Then out of no where BANG ! stoped dead.:crybaby:
I guess you cannot trust them Tecumseh engines....

So now I am on the look out for another engine.
I was curious have any of you put a 6hp diesel in one of these ? I would like to know if they fit under the hood with out cutting the sheet metal ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That's a shame as it's a good looking unit for $100. Tecumseh's are low on my list, but still good engines. Had ALL makes toss rods on me.
Don't know on the diesel. Maybe one of the guys will know.

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Am I seeing that right? The block cracked open like that? Wow! So your not going to short block it ? :)

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Well, it smoked anyway. You might still be able to use the crank in another engine, if you find one with the wrong shaft.

Good thing about 7hp tecumsehs, they aren't particularly rare or valuable.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
We have the same MF in our auto shop right now, it has the same tecumseh and she runs and drives great. Hopefully ours doesn't crap out anytime soon. Sorry for the loss.

·
2,261 Posts
Yeah that sucks,but when your dealing with old engines ,don't matter what it is Briggs,kohler,Tec ,if it has hard life and no pm done usually they don't last long.
All my tractors have Tec engines and beside a carb issue,they all run great.
Hopefully you can find a repower for it,good luck

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Too bad about the engine. I have an 8 with a lot of hours on it. I am restoring it. The engine ran and did not smoke but has a lot of little problems that need fixing. I have been considering a repower as well. I think the flat head HM 8 or 10 hp would fit in the 7. I looked at the Chinese 10HP diesel and it is too tall for the 7/8. I haven't looked at the 6. I was thinking of trying to use mine as a snow blower or to drive a backup generator and I want 10hp if I do that. The chinese 13HP Honda clone is tempting but i'm not sure if it will fit without a lot of work. If you can find a good HM80 or 100 it would probably be the easiest route to go. Good luck with it.

Brian

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies.
Maybe i will look out for a Honda clone engine or maybe a 8 hp kohler.
Take care.

·
Registered
310 Posts
it just so happens that i have an mf-7 that did the same thing, and i put a honda clone from princess-auto in it! it wasnt too hard, if i did it better i could have took off the gastank and the electric start swich, there wouldnt have been too much cutting involved. i put a longer wire for the electric start switch and made a bigger hole in the dash for it. as for the muffeler i put a stack with one of those lawnmower muffelers and then i welded a rain-cap on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I would look for a little cast iron 8hp Kohler k., but whatever you do don't cut on that hood, thats a good looking machine.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,442 Posts
I see many grenaded Tecumsehs like yours,in the 5-7 HP range..they aren't the most durable engine for sure,but some I have had surprised me as far as how long they lasted--they just do not tolerate being over-revved,even a little,and they wind up fast due to the short stroke..their cast aluminum rods break easily..but I've had ALL makes of engines "blow up" too,so I'm not saying they are junk,they just seem more fragile than some others..

You can likely find another one like it on an old Airens or Craftsman snowblower,I'd keep looking on craigslist in the "free" colum,I see many snowblowers getting offered for free now that spring is here and people want stuff that doesn't work well out of their garages..saw 3 today alone,but they were too far away for me to go after..

A 7-10 HP Briggs will probably bolt on in its place too,though you may need to drill 2 new holes to mount it,since some Briggs engine mounting bolts are spaced farther apart that Tecumsehs ,but the other dimensions are nearly identical..I think a China diesel would be neat,I read one post here that one member did put one on a MF,I think even a 4 HP diesel would outpull that Tecumseh,and would be easier to stuff in it--cheaper to run too,and buy..

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Wow! That baby really split open. You can't blame that problem on the Tecumseh engine really. You have no idea of what kind of maintenance it received before you got it. If someone doesn't change the oil on a regular basis...seizing rods are the after effect.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not saying that all tech engines are bad just saying that a 7 hp tech in a tractor is not the best.They just work to hard. I would think a kohler 8 k would last longer and more durable. But then again it is all in they way that it was looked after.
Do you guys know if a 9 hp honda clone would bolt in ? and with out cutting any metal. at Princess Auto they have a 9hp honda clone for 289.99 I think is a good deal.
Take Care

-James

1 - 17 of 17 Posts