My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tecumseh HM100 that was manufactured in 1992 and is mounted on my portable generator. I recently purchased a quality compression gauge and decided to check the compression on the old Tecumseh. It measured 165psi I ran the compression test 3 times and each time I got the same reading. My question is does this sound correct for a 28 year old engine?
Test was run with the choke off throttle locked in full open position. Used electric start to turn engine over. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself that this a legitimate reading. am I doing something wrong? Does anyone know what the compression spec is for the HM100 I tried several manuals and could find no information regarding what the compression should be.

I also checked the compression on my snow-thrower which has the HMSK100 engine built in 1991 and it read 95psi which I believe is a false reading due to the fact that it has decompression feature to make it easier to manually start.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,461 Posts
I'd like to know too, I have same motor on my generator, although mine is pull start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts