My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I know this is probably beat to death, but I've been researching to no avail. I have a mtd snow blower with a tec hs50. I went to start it up and there was no spark so I opted to replace it with a nova 2. I dont know where I'm going wrong. I disconnected the kill switch because I have no key anyway. I attached a couple pics to show my temp setup. I was checking for spark by turning the crank with a ratchet. I tried reversing the polarity, and the second little wire off the coil I tried connected and disconnected. it used to be attached to where the condenser was screwed in.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,668 Posts
I've had mixed results with those Nova II modules..some don't work on "3 legged" coils ,and the engine needs to be spun over more briskly than with points to get a spark generated on the coils they do work on..a ratchet probably wont spin it fast enough,you need a healthy tug on the rope ..

I have had a few Nova II modules that were defective right out of the box..
Tried them out back in the 1990's when they first came about..MEH.
I dislike cleaning or replacing points located under a flywheel--but they DO work better IMO..

The Briggs & Stratton "Magnetron" upgrade kit to convert points to electronic worked well on the engines I put it on--however some of the coils on later engines already have the pick up coil & transistor built in,and the coil swaps right onto some older engines..they have several different coils though ,you need to use one with the right bolt spacing and curvature to match the flywheel ..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts