My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of trying to repower an MTD snowblower. I have the engine off and now have to remove the bolt at the end of the pulley shaft and the pulleys. Is the bolt in the end of the shaft reverse thread? Also, any suggestions on how to hold the shaft while removing the bolt. I was gonna go with vice grips. I was looking foward to repowering with an Greyhound from Harbor Freight but the crank is the wrong diameter. Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
349 Posts
Some people remove them by pulling the spark plug and stuffing a rope down the cylinder. The pulley is probably far enough from the engine block that you could get something on the crank too. I think for my repower I just used some pliers on the crank, the keyway hole was enough to grab on to. I one used an adjustable wrench on the key stock too. Guess it comes down to how much you care about the old engine.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lucked out, came off pretty easy. I was able to get a pair of grips on the crank.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
what kinda mtd? pic?
mtd took over a lot of older snowthrowers,
i have an atlas snow chief,
took a lot of hunting to get the manual info....(snowthrower service manual 3rd edition...local library)
personally, i wouldn't use that harbor freight job,
i have heard they're throwaway motors if they have probs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts