My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a small tractor with loader still learning a lot. Came across this one the ad reads. Wheelhorse Raider 12 garden tractor with a good running 12hp Kohler engine. manual trans. with 8 forward speeds and 2 reverse. Factory Johnson Workhorse loader with full hydraulics. rear weight box filled with cement ballast (very heavy). rear tire chains. no other attachments for this.

What can you all tell me about this machine? Main use will be around my property for hauling and moving firewood and some light grading and yard work. I also have a 500foot dirt drive and would really like something to make maintaining it eaiser. Does this machine have a 3pt or was one an option? Also what is a fair price?

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
they are nice units not made to dig or work hard like a full size backhoe but great for hualing stone mulch firewood and so on

this tractor doesnt have have a 3 point only the d series wheelhorse have 3 points

·
Super Moderator
23,305 Posts
From appearances, that tractor looks comparable and maybe stronger than the MF12H with FEL that I had many years ago. It dug 2' deep trenches all over my yard to bury pool and sump hoses, power cables and telephone cable. It also dug the foundation for my garage, dug out 12" birch stumps and spread several truck loads of gravel.

Don't sell the little guys short. They will do an amazing amount of work!

The loader alone is worth a grand, more or less. Go from there.

I'd put a wider bucket on it, about 4" wider than the tractor, to give some wiggle room going through a snow drift or in a trench. Shifting the manual transmission will get old in a hurry, but it'll keep you from getting into too much trouble while learning how to use the loader. Foot control hydro is the better transmission type for loader work, but you want a good one. I'd also change the chains on the wheels for 2-link. Less chance of slip and grab than 4-link.

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
I have a wheel horse GT-14 with a loader. I use mine all the time.
I also had a friend with a raider 10 with a loader. He did not use his as he thought he
would. They have some wild price ranges. My friend bought his fully restored for
$1100. Mine was $1300. So, that would be my bench mark for purchase price.
It could run up to the $2000 mark. (I would think in this recession people
would be more realistic with prices.....but sometimes that doesn't happen).

And no disrespect to a former poster......but the D series are not the only wheel horses
with 3pt. hitches. The GT-14's and C-195's had them also.

If your thinking you'll wait for a tractor to come along with loader and 3pt. hitch....
Don't do it! These loaders are not very common. Grab this one and sell off the tractor
and replace it with a tractor with the 3pt. hitch.

I have also dug a pond with my loader. As a poster said earlier....they are not great
for digging. I used a rototiller on another wheel horse to loosen up the soil 6 to 8 inches
at a time. Then dig it out and dump it. Works pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
23,305 Posts
You have the hydraulics with the loader. Couldn't a clever man build a 3pt with a small hyd. cyl.?
That WH 8 sp is very strong. And WH/Kohler parts are readily avail.
A small cylinder on a loader hydraulic system is going to be very quick.

Controlling it for a partial stroke will be next to impossible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.