My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good private party price for this tractor with the shuttle shift and 18LA loader, 2 wheel drive, no rear remotes. It has about 350 hours, car tread type fat turf tires in the front and R4 tires in the rear. Any negatives about this tractor I should look for? I test drove it a few days ago and it seemed to be working fine after I unstuck the frozen PTO handle. It will belch a bit of black smoke when the trottle is quickly reved. Hasn't been run much since before October when the owner passed away. Not sure if there is PTO shaft damage as this tractor was replaced by larger 75 hp tractor to run a bailer. The pto did revolve and turn on/off. Any good way to check to see if it's out of balance or bent besides hooking up a piece of equiptment? rc

·
Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
143 Posts
That tractor is worth around $22,000 or more and I doubt anything at all is wrong with that PTO. Need more information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought the tractor for $15K. It's a bit light in the rear end and filling the bucket in a disked field was a bit hard. It was easy to spin the rear tires and just about get stuck. Had to lock the rear differential to get out of some loose dirt. It's my first loader/tractor so I'm gaining experience. I could see 4wd would be helpful, but I'm wondering how much difference adding water to the rear tires will make to R4s as far as traction. For general use it's been great for the few hours I've used it except for lack of traction trying to fill the bucket. My other tractor was bought by my dad and is an 85 horse ford 7600 with water filled rear tires. Althrough it's 2wd, it rarely loses traction with ag tires even pulling a big disk. I don't remember our ford 4000 slip as easily as this TC. I'm thinking the TC55 needs ballast as even with a large scraper attached it's light in the rear with a full bucket of dirt. I was planning on buying a smaller 30-40hp 4wd when this deal came my way and I figured that 2wd will do most of everything I need. The tractor is about like new. The only thing I noticed was a bit of crusty green corrosion around what appears to be the thermostat housing. I bought the tractor from someone in an alkaline soil area and if they put well water in the radiator it may have left some deposits.

I would appreciate feedback on the best way to have ballast put in this tractor. Can I do it myself? Is there a factory tube liner or is the rim coated inside so it won't rust? How much will that help with traction? Thanks for the help. rc

·
Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
143 Posts
rc:

Where abouts are you in California? I'm in the central valley and it don't get cold enough here to justify filling them with anything more than water. I have the adapter to do that with.

Those adapters can be bought at tractor supply also for like $10

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do these have factory tubes? I'm in the Modesto Area. Freezing can and does occur in December/January but lows tend to only get to the teens at most for a few days. I'm a bit concerneda about rusting out the rims. Does anyone know what the freezing point of windshield washer fluid is?

·
Still learnin!
90 Posts
I just filled my rear tires with used anti-freeze. It was free at the local car dealership. They usually have to pay to have it hauled away. They were happy to give it away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts