My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been playing with the "L" quite a bit lately and have noticed I am constantly bent over on the controls. Has a bit to do with my 6'2" size but was curious if anyone has any solutions to help remedy this. Doesn't bother me the first 45 mins. or so but after a few hours it becomes rough on the back.

My first thought was taller 18" tires... that will increase ground speed though (reg. L tractor) and I can't find any 5.70-8 or 18x6.50-8 tires in my price range with a decent tread pattern. After this winter I won't worry about the ground speed as I move the motor to an L8 transmission I have.

Short of slotting the fan shroud out further, any suggestions?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
You could try extending the control rod for the forward/reverse control back so that it is at the location Gravely used for the mid-72 and later units. That helps me as I have a long torso and shorter legs.

And no comments about my feet not reaching the ground. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
6'1'' I know what you mean, a sulky is a great solution if practical. sitting beats the **** out of walking behind for a couple hours. you can uncouple in a second for tough spots, just watch out uphill.. been pinched by handle bars on my lap more than once!

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6'1'' I know what you mean, a sulky is a great solution if practical. sitting beats the **** out of walking behind for a couple hours. you can uncouple in a second for tough spots, just watch out uphill.. been pinched by handle bars on my lap more than once!
Been doing that but working clearing brush in the woods... well.. it gets exciting on a sulky. I have found I can just about hold the handle bars up lifting the tires off the ground to protect sensitive areas while on the sulky. I guess I'll just keep stopping ever 30-45 minutes and take 5.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have been battling this for a long time. I am 6' 7" and the gravely kills my back!! What I have found to slow this from happening is to simply work slower with the machine, take my time. I find myself commonly pulling and pushing the machine like a push mower, but obviously this does nothing but waste energy. A relaxed pace works wonders.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Trying to fling a gravely around like a push mower is certainly not productive. It's got way more oomph than I do!

I'm 6'3", and mostly find the handlebar height on my L models to be reasonable. It does help, as you say, to get into the mindset of letting the machine do its thing, rather than trying to micromanage it.

Granted, that gets harder in the rough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts