My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like reading about things we all do to make our mowers/tractors last longer.would like to hear your tips on anything that helps things last on our equipment.also any tips that make things easier on the john deere to service and things to avoid that may lead to problem down the road.

like my spring clips fell off the deck on my LA145,many offered a suggestion on correcting that.

i offered how we wash our honda shadows,i use leaf blower to dry off bike in a couple of minutes after washing,no droplets etc and dry and shiney.i use blower on my la145 now also.
:thThumbsU
anything you can offer would be nice from cleaning to everything that you have done.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I second the leaf blower after mowing. I recently replaced the drive belt and idlers of my GX and when I removed the fender deck it was apparant that the transmission was free of heavy dirt buildup. A bit of dust on it but that was it.

Keep up schedualed maintenence, grease, oil, filters (ESPECALLY THE AIR FILTERING SYSTEM!!!!!!), keep blades sharp and trued up, pay attention to any belt cracking, tire pressures for even cutting, completely clean out grass buildup under deck as often as possible (corrosion prevention)...

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Take the time once in a while to check all of your nuts and bolts for tightness. Do the proper maintenance on time. Blower down when your done and keep it in a shed when not using it. slkpk

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Periodically tighten nuts and bolts? I'm hearing a Harley rider there, slkpk.

I look at it this way, any work session over 4 hours, the tractor has earned at least an hour of my undivided attention. Stem to stern cleaning and inspection.

Every use warrants a pre-inspection, and a post cleanup/inspection.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I do a few things for all of my stuff...

1) Use OEM or better parts, filters, and lubricants.
2) Follow the maintenance schedule.
3) Use the equipment gingerly until it warms up.
4) Don't over-work/over-rev/over-heat the equipment.
5) Lend your time, never the equipment.

Regards,

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I'm on the same frequency as D-Dogg and Greenster. OEM parts, let it warm up, don't leave it out in the weather, regular maintenance, and DON'T LEND IT. That's my policy for any of my power equipment. If you want to borrow my chainsaw, fine. You get me with it as the operator, and we can work a deal if it's more than just a tree limb. Same goes for the Deere.

I have a zip-up book that I keep all my tractor stuff in. Operator's manuals for the tractor, mower, tiller, spreader, etc. I keep all the receipts for maintenance, parts, equipment, anything I spend money on for the tractor. The two small notepads are the maintenance logs for my X748 and GT235. Every oil change, filter change, deck greasing, repair, etc all goes in those notepads with the date done and number of hours on the tractor. If I ever sell the tractor, heaven forbid, I have a complete history and record of what I did and what I paid, so I can show the potential buyer just what he's gonna get. It also allows me to trend things; if I see I'm replacing the same thing repeatedly and more frequently, or having to top up my oil more often, things like that, I can anticipate what's coming up next.

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
If you hear an unusual noise, investigate it. If you have a problem fix it first, then put it away. Putting it off will just make more aggravation when you need it next then remember.

And a half azzed repair is not a fix. Bailing wire, duct tape and glue are no substitute for keeping your tractor in good condition.

Lastly, don't leave it out if you can help it and above all keep that filler cap in good shape. If the dome cracks, replace the cap. Otherwise it turns into a water funnel.
At least 70% of the non running tractors I get cheap at auctions have water in the tank & carbs. Water doesn't burn.

·
JD318
990 Posts
Don't use ethanol gas, and don't leave gas in the tank during storage.
From an owner's manual...
"Experience indicates that alcohol
blended fuels (called gasohol or using ethanol
or methanol) can attract moisture which leads
to separation and formation of acids during
storage. Aciddic gas can damage the fuel
system of an engine while in storage. To avoid
engine problems, the fuel system should be
emptied before storage of 30 days or longer.
Drain the gas tank, start the engine and let it
run until the fuel lines and carburetor are
empty."

·
Registered
873 Posts
I spent so much on the x520 they are deliverling tomorrow I decided to let the Dealer do the upkeep. I'll change the oil if needed but from now on I'll drop it off there and let them fiddle with it.

:greendr:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is 2 oil filters i found most are using for their briggs/stratton.ph 8172 is 2.7 inchs long and the ph 3614 is 3.4 inchs long.i like the wal-mart super-tech, others like wix/napa/purolator/ac/fram tough guard only.also listed is the ph 4967 but i did not check that one.

i bought the ph3614 which is longer and holds more oil and more paper element to clean dirt in oil.it clears the side of the hood inside.

same with my honda shadow,i use longer auto filter than short honda filter.

·
16,490 Posts
I'm on the same frequency as D-Dogg and Greenster. OEM parts, let it warm up, don't leave it out in the weather, regular maintenance, and DON'T LEND IT. That's my policy for any of my power equipment. If you want to borrow my chainsaw, fine. You get me with it as the operator, and we can work a deal if it's more than just a tree limb. Same goes for the Deere.

I have a zip-up book that I keep all my tractor stuff in. Operator's manuals for the tractor, mower, tiller, spreader, etc. I keep all the receipts for maintenance, parts, equipment, anything I spend money on for the tractor. The two small notepads are the maintenance logs for my X748 and GT235. Every oil change, filter change, deck greasing, repair, etc all goes in those notepads with the date done and number of hours on the tractor. If I ever sell the tractor, heaven forbid, I have a complete history and record of what I did and what I paid, so I can show the potential buyer just what he's gonna get. It also allows me to trend things; if I see I'm replacing the same thing repeatedly and more frequently, or having to top up my oil more often, things like that, I can anticipate what's coming up next.
Good Info!! I like the 'portfolo idea"....I use a little different method--but still works for me....
1. I have a separate folder (penderflex-color coded) for each tractor....In that folder is all info, manuals, parts orders etc., revalant to that unit, since I have several--running or not...
I set this up when I get one--unless it's a junker/rolling loaner, that's not going to be around long.

I list on the back of the front cover all part #s taht are regular users ..Oil filters/blades...

On a hang-up wall calender (MTF by the way)..I list my services only--with date and either hours useage, or with my three vehicles--the mileage.

That way--at a quick glance --I can see what is needed when--and plan for it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts