My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
212 John Deere Owner
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What handheld tachometer can be used on the single cylinder 1985 Kohler 12 HP Engine? I can't seem to find a vibration tach as noted in the manual and all of the electrical tachs do not say they can be used in a breaker/coil system which this is.

Thanks all!.

·
212 John Deere Owner
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may add this is for my john Deere 212 mower.

Has anyone had any luck using a tiny tach for these engines with points?

·
Premium Member
9,663 Posts
I used this, got it from Harbor Freight. Was able to adjust the Governer easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have used an analog tach-dwell meteron my old cub cadet. My old meter I hooked up to the coil. It was for a car so I had to do a little math, but I was just looking for idle and 3600.

·
Premium Member
9,663 Posts
I used this, got it from Harbor Freight. Was able to adjust the Governer easily.
With the photo tach all you do is stick a small piece of reflective tape on "ANY" spinning part (I used the flywheel screen) point the meter at it and push the button. (Takes about 10 seconds to settle) and it has a memory to store the Idle and governed RPM's. I set my Briggs from 3100 to a little over 3400 to see if it will charge the battery better when mowing for 3+ hours. Did't want to go all the way to 3600 yet but still may bring it up a little more. Will check again after the next mowing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Problem with using photo tachs is where is the correct place to put the reflective tape to be fully accurate?
I myself know a car engines timing mark is on the outer edge of the flywheel so I placed it there on my Kohler too. I searched pretty good for the original timing mark on my K241 and never found an actual mark anywhere? Never tangled with my other horses RPM?

How to vids on photo tachs I saw people put the tape in center/outer both on flywheels/pulleys while using this type of tach testing everything, I do mean "Everdamnthing" too..:00000060:
They don't know it changes RPM readings so drastically depending where one places sticker and where the factory intends or would intend it to be when checked using this method. Guess they'll learn that with a booom huh?
Also' what size flywheel/balancer is now being used vs was originally used on an engine matters. It can all change the RPM from factory is my point here, so one needs to know what they actually have in front of them if placing your own mark anywhere you want it on the old stuff.

fwiw- My guess was anywhere on the outer edge of my flywheel but where is the Kohler factory mark on K/Magnum series? Very odd to me if there just isn't one at all but seems to be no timing mark on neither of my Kohlers?
I had no other Kohler to compare settings to (back then) nor did I know if the governor/Carb was still set to OEM standards? Being both my tractors were bought used I still don't know how close they really are to factory RPM settings. Planned on buying a tiny tach, just never did it. Its been several yrs ago though and nothings blown apart yet..:tango_face_grin:

Thanks...

·
Registered
276 Posts
123Go. It makes no difference if you put a piece of tape on the crankshaft halfway out the flywheel all the way to the outside of the flywheel. The RPMs is exactly the same anywhere on that crankshaft. One revolution at the outside of the flywheel is exactly one revolution on the side of the crankshaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts