My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a 2210 JD with a T3NE74 Yanmar Engine . When you turn the ignition on the engine fires up and soon as you release the key it shuts off.I am thinking it is the fuel shutoff solenoid . Has anyone ever experienced this? Fuel filter, air filters, have been changed. Fuel bowel is plastic anyone have any issues of sucking air from bowel? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to help out my neighbor, she lives by herself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2210 had a problem with the Ground wire up front side of the frame to the Negative Battery terminal. I did a lot of useless diagnostics to find out this was my problem, I would guess that you may have a similar problem. Just replace the cable with one that is 4” longer re-route it slightly so the side panel no longer cuts into the cable insulation. Problem is hidden inside the cable and it has green corrosion in there... 3 years ago I thought I had helped cure the problem with a tube of heat shrink on the cable. Replace that entire cable hopefully with a higher quality terminal clamp ...also check the engine to frame ground on the same side of engine as the Starter...
Good luck and let us know what you find!

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a side note to my previous post I took apart every connection and slobbered dielectric grease into everything, with a good cleaning of electrical contact cleaner (I used CRC brand) plus a pocket knife, A vary small flat blade screw driver to release the terminals from their plastic connector housings, and I ensured that the tab on terminal was re bent if needed to hold it in place. This included cleaning the back sides of the key switch and headlight switch . Good luck, Remember anything worth doing is worth doing right !!! And since age is a factor for both mine and your neighbors, wires can get brittle and their jackets cracked, and shorted out... WD-40 after a bath to all wires is a great way to keep them soft and playable. It keeps away the green Meanies too.
Good luck again, let us know what you find!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the lift pump out and wasn't putting much fuel out. I have the new one and I am going to put it on shortly. I will post results later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the lift pump out and wasn't putting much fuel out. I have the new one and I am going to put it on shortly. I will post results later.
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I put the lift pump on and the engine sounded stronger like it was going to start, but wouldn't stay runnning. My neighbor purchased a new ignition switch 7 years ago which at that time was only a fuse and the dealer wouldn't take the switch back being, Eectrical. I put the ignitiion switch in and she fired right up. So now I'm not sure if it was both at fault or just the ignition switch? It was the original lift pump. Main thing is she is running!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts