My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd post this as it may help someone else with their Kawasaki powered mower. The symptoms were the mower ran pretty good for about 20 minutes, then it would start to die... sometimes it would crank back up if you engaged the choke, but it would soon die. If you waited for an hour or more, the mower would crank and run for 20 more minutes and repeat the cycle. I was convinced that I had an electrical problem, thinking that the CDI ignition was failing. Strangely enough my brother has this same mower and he was experiencing the same exact problem. We tried moving his igniter to my mower and the symptoms were the same. I took the carb off and discovered that the needle valve was stopped up. I cleaned it and reinstalled and the mower ran fine for a couple of weeks, but then started the same thing. I took off the carb again and the needle valve was stopped up again. On a lark I put the fuel line out of the fuel pump into a glass jar and turned the motor over and out came a world of black crud out of the fuel pump. I can only assume that the fuel line deteriorated between the fuel filter and the fuel pump leaving chunks of rubber deposited in the fuel pump. I must have run 2-3 gallons of fuel into a jar and was still seeing a little debris. I installed a paper filter between the fuel pump and the carb and I've been a happy camper ever since...

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
mageerc, sorry for such a late response.
Thanks for posting your fix. It will no doubt help some folks on down the line.
These kinds of fuel line deterioration stories are becomeing all to common, with all brands and especially w/machines that have been in service for quite awhile.

Theres fuel line available thats compliant w/ethanol/gasoline mixes.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a very similar problem with a T1460. I found out that the gas cap had a rubber valve in the top of the cap that must have had something to do with tank pressure. I removed what was left of the valve and followed with pulling the fuel tank (which was polluted with dissolved rubber) and cleaned it. Installed clean tank and added new fuel, no problems
since that time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i bought a T1770 used last Jan from a local Bota dealer. it ran a little

rough on the lot, mechanic said the plugs must be foulng. not the case,

they picked it up from me, and found the carb full of junk, partially due

to the fact it sat for 9 months, and the crappy fuel we get today.

come spring time i need to do some investigating. I started in this

past saturday and after about 8 minutes it stopped, it did start right

up again, but it does need some attention.

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought a T1770 used last Jan from a local Bota dealer. it ran a little

rough on the lot, mechanic said the plugs must be foulng. not the case,

they picked it up from me, and found the carb full of junk, partially due

to the fact it sat for 9 months, and the crappy fuel we get today.

come spring time i need to do some investigating. I started in this

past saturday and after about 8 minutes it stopped, it did start right

up again, but it does need some attention.

Jim
If the carb was full of junk, I'd bet you that junk has settled in the fuel pump... put an inline paper filter between the fuel pump and the carb and I'd be willing to bet your problems would be solved after you clean the carb again...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took off the carb so many times over the last few years that I could do it in less that 5 minutes... this year I filled the gas tank, cranked it over a few times and it fired right off... no problems what-so-ever...

·
Registered
65 Posts
i just came back in from clearing snow, i still have some sort of problem,.

if i have to restart it when its hot i have to choke it, and at times

it backfires slightly. Its better than it was when it came back form the

dealer, and i'm using startron fuel additive, but there is a bit of a bug

in it. The dealer said that the alcohol in the fuel was raising **** with

fuel lines, given those words, when i get some better weather i'll

do some troubleshooting. i know they found some junk in the carb,

but don't know if they purged the system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I did was take the fuel line loose that connects the fuel pump to the carb and turned the motor over collecting the fuel in a glass jar so I could see what flushed out and it was a considerable amount of junk. After flushing a couple of gallons of fuel through, I was still seeing a bit of trash in the jar and that's when I decided to put a paper inline filter between the fuel pump and the carb. I have since replaced the fuel lines from the fuel tank forward with alcohol resistant tubing. I bet you still have some crud in the carb that came from the particulate that settled in the fuel pump. Good luck with it... I beat my head against the wall for a couple of years before I figured out what my intermittent problem was...

·
Registered
65 Posts
thank you, these are my exact plans, first off to disconnect the fuel line

for the fuel pump to the carb and work back toward the fuel tank.,

its a 2007 T 1770, one would think that its a an alcohol resistant

fuel line, but i'm gonna do it anyway.

thanks

Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know that this topic of deteriorating fuel lines, probably has been discussed many times before, and although this is a post much later as I am anew member, I have a question about a fuel line I have heard about and I believe is made of Polyurethane?
The brand name I believe is "Tygon" and I have found it in my NAPA auto parts store. Unfortunately the largest ID size they had was 3/16", and my old Kubota T1770 with the Kohler air cooled CV17 17 HP V-Twin Command engine uses 1/4" ID.

Would anyone have experience or know more about this product and if it might be available in 1/4" ID?

Thank you for any comments.
jamesemu

·
Registered
19 Posts
To: orangaemen1
Sounds like you had the trouble I did with my T1770 Kohler Engine?
Did you have the Dealer Purge the fuel system, and appreciate knowing if you already have a in-line filter in your fuel system. My T1770 has in that it came with one, but have had to change it frequently, due to deterioration of rubber lines.

Now I learn that maybe some Kubota's with the Kohler Engines, similar to my Command CV 17 HP, did not come with the in-line fuel filter?

Also was going to try using "Tygon" fuel line, until someone posted that temperature was a problem he had with using it.

Can anyone tell me which fuel line is definitely "alcohol resistant"?
I have tried standard rubber NAPA 1/4" ID fuel line and it also had troubles.

Appreciate others having experience with this problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts