My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mowing the yard and killed it to grab a bite to eat, came out and battery was dead. I jumped it off my Polaris Ranger and it started right up. I tried to finish up the yard and ran out of gas. When it ran out of gas I guess I left the ignition on which finished off the battery. Tried to jump again and blew the 3A fuse. Father in law put a 30A in its place by accident and we tried to jump again. Started up briefly but then died and never started up again. Replaced the battery today and still will not fire off. If I put gas or starting fluid directly into the carb it will run till that burns off. I pulled the carb and it is getting fuel to the bowl. I did find that it has a fuel cut off solenoid on the bottom of the carb. Is it possible that the 30A fuse in place of the 3A could have burnt up the solenoid preventing the carb from getting fuel?
Any help here is greatly appreciated!!!
-Robert in Dallas

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
Sorry about the edit note in your 2nd post. I didn't edit your post, I attempted to use the quote reply funtion and probably hit the edit function instead, my bad..... But in any case I did not edit your post, it is as you originally posted it.....
This is what I meant to post: (I manually quoted your post here)
Ok, so I replaced my mower with another.
This Kubota is for sale!
$1000
Wow, sounds like an expensive fix :D
Probably wasn't a good idea to put a 30 amp fuse in a circuit designed to be protected w/a 3 amp fuse. You basically bypassed the "safety" so it's very probable that the device(s) and wireing that fuse was designed to protect from overcurrent are now damaged.

In any case, good luck w/ your new machine.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As I understand it that solenoid is there to prevent backfires if the ignition is turned off with the throttle set above Idle. This prevents unburned gas from entering the hot exhaust system and possibly causing a backfire that could damge the exhaust or start a fire. I would imagine that it would also prevent the engine from running if it was burned out.
Sorry to hear about your troubles!
Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
...When it ran out of gas I guess I left the ignition on which finished off the battery....
I'm kinda guessing here, since I don't know whether your Kubota is a diesel or a gas model. You mentioned gas, but a lot of people use that to refer to diesel, too.

On older cars that I used to work on, I was always told that if you accidentally left the ignition in the ON position for a long period of time, it could basically destroy your points, at a minimum. Several mechanics told me horror stories about points arcing so badly that the crud between them built up and caused a direct short across them.

It sounds as if this MIGHT be why your mower wouldn't start, if it's a gas model. Frankly, I'm so fuzzy on how diesel motors operate that I don't know if there is some equivalent thing that would also work this way. My 28(?) year old G4200 has never had an ignition problem in its long life, so I haven't had to get smart about how that works. I still have the original glow plugs & injectors ... still have the same thermostat, too, which I should probably replace just to be safe, since those old relics don't have any gauges at all -- not even Temp or Hours.

Maybe some real mechanic here can expand on this, if it's worth considering.

G L White
Chancellorsville, Virginia

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
He should have a gas engine in that "T" model Kubota--it's the same kind I fixed up for my brother a couple years ago---

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
Don't recall if I gave you a welcome aboard Smokehill so "welcome aboard" :D
Like Glenn says, the "T"s came w/Kawasaki's, Kohler Commands and now Kohler Courage and/or Courage Pro.

Normally, the fuel cutoff solenoid can be bench tested using a 12vDC source such as a 12v battery or a std automotive 12vDC battery charger.

This particular tractor trouble sounds like it started out as a mole hill then ended up as a mountain. My swag is a weak battery was the original problem and along with the battery needing replacement, the cutoff solenoid and/or the wiring in that 3amp circuit is damaged and will need servicing.
With these newer engines utilizing more and more electrics with lower tolerance to over current event's, one needs to be more careful when troubleshooting them. Troubleshooting via parts swapping can get beau-coup expensive :D

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
Oh--and now that Kubota is sitting out by my brother's garage--dead as a hammer--says the engine 'won't turn over--he put a new starter on it...still won't turn over...

I was down there yesterday--but didn't have any tools with me to look at it...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Did the new starter include a new solenoid?
Chris

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
Didn't even look at it--but I can't wait until he drags it by here one day, after leaving ir sitting outside all year..

{***&^% shame!}:00000060:

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
Oh--and now that Kubota is sitting out by my brother's garage--dead as a hammer--says the engine 'won't turn over--he put a new starter on it...still won't turn over...

I was down there yesterday--but didn't have any tools with me to look at it...
Ouch, sounds like a fine time to implement the BOH (big ole hammer) :D

Swag 1, safety switches. Don't if it has a pto and/or HST switch but I'd rock them and check them out.

Swag 2, battery and battery connections. Bad ground can cause all sorts of discintent.

Swag 3, make sure the wires were put back right :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts