My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this mower for a while now, runs great. My problem is that it seems to quit pulling on a slope. A new belt did not fix it. I really didn'tthink it would, as it didn't seem to be a slip issue, but more or a stall. You can let off the footpedal, and go right back on it and it will start to pull again. Any suggestions?

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
HST's by they're nature will slow while going upgrade. As opposed to a gasoline engines throttle that raises engine rpm (hense power) when the pedal (throttle control) is depressed, the HST speed control doesn't raise the engines rpm, instead it applies more angle to a swash plate to allow more fluid to flow from the pump to the hydraulic motor which does increase speed on level terrain but due to the laws of physics it'll reach a stall point when going upgrade. Basically your applying more load without applying more power, hense your introducing a stall condition.
What one should do when the HST tractor starts to stall when going upgrade is to let off of the HST speed control pedal/lever some. The tractor will slow down but not stall because your lessoning the load.
If when you encounter the stall condition, let slightly off on the speed control to see if the tractor still contines to climb but not stall. If it continues up without stalling then it's normal.
One way to look at a stall is that the HST isn't slipping which is a good thing. :D
PS, if your tractor has a high/low range HST you might try shifting into low for the inclines.
Good luck

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned in the earlier post that I am cutting the same grade for the past 5 years, and it is just now doing this.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
5 yrs huh, I'd say you'd definitely know how to work your HST then :D

Not being familure with your model's scheduled maintenance requirements, if you haven't I'd recommend to change the HST fluid & filter.
Thats generally the 1st step in correcting HST issues.

Course, you could be having an engine power issue. Does the engine seem to lug when the blades are 1st engaged more so than usual? Is the engine smoking more under load?
Could be you have a fuel filter beginning to clog. This usually causes a lack of power when you apply the most load to a tractor (mowing tall grass, going upgrade, etc.).
Good luck

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motor is tip top, in fact just finished a service on it. I'm not familiar with the a filter on the hydro, I'll have to check it out. I recently got a CD repair manual for it from France, but I haven't got my kids to upload it for me somewhere so I don't have to keep it on my 'puter...:ROF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you checked the belt tensioner??

There is a tensioner on a pulley that gets rusty and sticks. Look above the mowing deck, there are 2 belts, the one above the deck belt is the drive belt. On the right side (when on the machine) there is a tensioner (black pulley) with an arm. Where the arm attaches to the mower there is a pivot point. You must remove the arm (take pictures so you know where things go after removal) sand it with 220 grit to remove all rust (both parts). Grease both parts well and give it a go. This solved the problem for me. I thought also that it was the hydro transmission.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked the belt tensioner??

There is a tensioner on a pulley that gets rusty and sticks. Look above the mowing deck, there are 2 belts, the one above the deck belt is the drive belt. On the right side (when on the machine) there is a tensioner (black pulley) with an arm. Where the arm attaches to the mower there is a pivot point. You must remove the arm (take pictures so you know where things go after removal) sand it with 220 grit to remove all rust (both parts). Grease both parts well and give it a go. This solved the problem for me. I thought also that it was the hydro transmission.
Thanks, I'll check that...

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Well, I did the tensioner repair and replaced the belt. Business as usual...
my neighbour dropped off his t1400 complaining it had no power going forward. My internet search found this thread so that's where I looked. Well his belt was off that tensioner pulley and the pivot is seized tight. Might work so so if I just put belt back on but. Thought I wasn't going to get it off and one bolt was between frame and arm and had to use box end wrench and head was rounded a bit. (already or from me trying open end) Anyway I was able to force box end on good enough to loosen it. I put PB blaster on both ends and even with mounting flange in vice I can only tap it maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch back and forth. Now I have it immersed in fluid film/ATF mix and will try it tomorrow. I can't understand why Kubota didn't have a grease fitting on the outer shaft section.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
my neighbour dropped off his t1400 complaining it had no power going forward. My internet search found this thread so that's where I looked. Well his belt was off that tensioner pulley and the pivot is seized tight. Might work so so if I just put belt back on but. Thought I wasn't going to get it off and one bolt was between frame and arm and had to use box end wrench and head was rounded a bit. (already or from me trying open end) Anyway I was able to force box end on good enough to loosen it. I put PB blaster on both ends and even with mounting flange in vice I can only tap it maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch back and forth. Now I have it immersed in fluid film/ATF mix and will try it tomorrow. I can't understand why Kubota didn't have a grease fitting on the outer shaft section.
well 3 days soaking. some heat , some hammer and I pulled it apart with a knife bearing puller. saved the guy $100 in parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts