My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we have all heard the talk about Synthetics causing leaks in older vehicles. I personally have never experienced this but was wondering if any 6.2L owners had. I changed over to Synthetic everything in my 97' at 100K and have never had a problem, and my Silverado has had Synthetics since it was new, so if I change to synthetics in the 6.2, I dont beleive I will have any problems but.......... always best to ask.

ANY advice, input or personal experience stories are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
somanytractorsolittletime
493 Posts
Don't do it, 6.2 need dino oil I had a 6.5 throw 3 rods at once with a switch to synthetic oil, the oil pressure will be low with synthetic. Good thing it was under GM warranty or it would have been worse (for me).

pat

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I'd be leery of switching any high mileage engine over to synthetic myself,though I'm sure a million people have,and never had troubles..

Seeing a diesel has a ton more SOOT in them than a typical gas engine ever would is one reason I would not switch..another is cost,you still need to change the oil often in a diesel regardless of what type it is,your going to be wasting more money that it'll "save" in my opinion..I feel the 6.2's were a bit on the "loose" side as far as tolerances,my '82 GMC's manual and the info on the sun visor states "SAE-30 Prefered above 32 degrees F"..I use 15W-40,which is listed for temps between 15 and 110 F,but it sounds like a stonecrusher when it starts below 25 degrees with it,until it warms up..

I ran SAE 30 once when I got a case on sale one summer,and it DID sound to me like it was quieter than it is with 15W-40 in it...my engine was a "good used" junkyard replacement with supposedly only 80K on it,but I have doubts that is legit..the oil pressure gauge needle has always "flickered" since day one I had it,and seemed to be more steady with the 30W oil than multi-weights..might just be the sending unit or gauge though..

You can use a two quart oil filter to add capacity and some extra cooling--the same number a C-60 small or big block gas motor takes..I used them on my K-5 Blazers 350 engines..the 6.2 takes the same oil filter as a 350 gas motor..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts