My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding my neighbor's LT 155. He recently developed a loud noise when engaging the PTO and the mower deck. The deck is the 42" Freedom mulching deck with two blades. He had the dealer come and pick it up to diagnose and fix it....he does not like to monkey around with them trying to fix things himself.

After the dealer brought it back, he charged him for sharpening and balancing the blades and putting them back on in a "synchronized fashion." Is synchronizing the blades on this deck really necessary or is that a bunch of BS? I looked under the deck after he got it back from the dealer and it just looked like a two blade deck to me. The clearances between the blades and the metal deck are fairly close....I guess because it was designed as a mulching deck. I could not see any real reason why the blades on this deck would have to be any more synchronized than any other blade set-up. Of course, I have an old 3 blade set-up on a 46" deck on my 1985 316 (which does not require any synchronization)....so who knows?

Any insight into this situation? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It is BS unless it is a timed deck, which i highly doubt that. A belt will slip as soon as you hit the PTO switch, so it is a wasted effort.

I'm gonna guess his spindle bearings are on the way out, or his belt is worn out and slipping.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is BS unless it is a timed deck, which i highly doubt that. A belt will slip as soon as you hit the PTO switch, so it is a wasted effort.

I'm gonna guess his spindle bearings are on the way out, or his belt is worn out and slipping.
Has JD ever produced a "timed" deck? Never heard of that on a JD.

I think he may have hit something and bent one of the blades enough to start it hitting the deck. The spindle bearings and the condition of his belt seemed to be fine. But this synchronization thing....????

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
The freedom mulching deck IS A TIMED DECK, blades making a terrible noise when out of time is the most common issue with that deck. Therefore the dealer was correct and it is NOT BS. If you remove the black covers you will see the timing belt as well as the adjustment procedure.

Dan

·
Registered
728 Posts
i had an old jacobson like that. not only were they timed but ran the opposite direction. other than that it was stout and had alot of clearance for all my rocks. think it had a 12hp kohler. the motor never quit.

·
Registered
498 Posts
No the Dealer is not BS. IT is a timed deck like others have said. He might have hit something and caused one of the blades to jump it time. The two blades actually cross paths when cutting that is why the timing belt.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Well spank my butt Sally you learn something new or funny everyday on this site. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I didnt know that they were timed, the only timed deck I have ever heard of was on the Cub Originals.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I never would have suspected that there was a "timed deck" like this on a JD. I am just glad I do not have one! :Stop:

I think you guys are correct that he hit something and made the blades jump out of timing. The weird thing is that when I looked at the blades and spun them around by hand, I could not see how it would be possible for them to ever hit each other.

I will let my neighbor know that our dealer knows what he talking about on this one! Thanks again! :fing32:

·
Registered
848 Posts
For the 42" Freedom deck the blades are supposed to be 90 degrees off for optimum mulching. They can hit each other if not timed right. The belt for the blades can slip if a blade hits something. I have had it happen several times then had to reset the blades. It is a PIA.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think they are timed I have a Troy bilt with timed blades and they have a toothed belt and pulley !!! My LT 160 does not and the blades to not hit each other when placed end to end with the mower off. if they do you have a problem , they are close but don't hit. the blades spin freely once the pto is disengaged and untill the brake takes effect.

·
Three of my friends
9,154 Posts
The SST 16/18 JD Models were timed decks also.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The box store cub cadets have a timed decks as well. I had a Ltx1050 for a couple weeks and it mowed really nice but I was a bit concerned what would happen if I hit a rock and timing got interfered :14_6_5:

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
OK.... I own 3 of the LT 155 JD machines.. they all have the Freedom 42 deck on them... the blades have a double sided cog belt to keep the blades in 'time' with each other... this is cause the blades will overlap each other in the center of the deck.. there is a spring tensioner on that cog belt to keep it at the proper tension... if this tensioner is bent... it will not have the proper tension on belt

the spindle bearings can b bought from NAPA much cheaper than JD.. & r easily replaceable.. the double sided cog belt can only b gotten from JD... & costs bout 60$$$.. the spindle has grease zerks that can b accessed with the deck in the lowered position.. I shoot 6 pumps of grease in mine 2-3 times a year durin use..

one blade rotates clockwise while the other blade is counter clockwise on this deck also.. this is Y the cog belt has cogs on both sides

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
Has JD ever produced a "timed" deck? Never heard of that on a JD.

I think he may have hit something and bent one of the blades enough to start it hitting the deck. The spindle bearings and the condition of his belt seemed to be fine. But this synchronization thing....????
to check if a blade is bent... u an rotate each blade & note where it is aliening up with the side of the deck.. all 4 ends should b the same place on the deck..

one blade rotates clockwise while the other blade is counter clockwise on this deck also.. this is Y the cog belt has cogs on both sides.. each blade has a stamping on which side of the mower it goes on.. u can get these on backwards too

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the 42" Freedom deck the blades are supposed to be 90 degrees off for optimum mulching. They can hit each other if not timed right. The belt for the blades can slip if a blade hits something. I have had it happen several times then had to reset the blades. It is a PIA.
Hi. Can you tell me if you have to remove the deck to fix this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts