My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully repaired one of these with fiberglass from the back side? I wasn't sure it would stick even if you used a grinder to rough up the area. This is a standard repair on fiberglass boats and vettes. Any suggestions?

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
It won't stick for long,JB Weld did have a product for abs plastic,that is what the hood is,I used some regular JB weld and put a backin plate on and it is still holding.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a combination of the 2, Use fiberglass cloth and use the ABS plastic repair product like the JB weld or bumper repair product that body shops use. The cloth might hold it together better.

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
Have not tried that but it makes for a good trial,let us know.

·
John Deere
78 Posts
I drilled all the way through it and put a bolt on both sides with washers on the hinges looks like it come from the factory. Carriage bolt is the bolt I used. Low build quality on these hoods with the reinforcement bracket. To much weight and vibration breaks the fiber down .

·
Registered
298 Posts
I put the front of my 455 into a fence (duh) and took off a chunk of the corner. I Superglued it back on for now and was looking for a good way to reinforce the back of it. I need to do something before the temps drop and the snow flies.

I'm thinking of using something like a contact cement (Goop) and a hardening mesh, or a big flat patch of 2 part epoxy.

After I take the cab off in the spring I'll be filling and sanding the entire hood and rattle can painting it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts