My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have the SX3100? I am considering it and was looking for personal reviews/opinions of current owners.

Thanks

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Eubee, I haven't researched the CC Cuts but have stopped by and checked them out. They looked pretty stout and were priced very competitively.
Hows the research going?
Dave

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... Hows the research going?
Dave
Eh, not that good. Apparently it is a new model this year. I have no doubt on the engine, as Yanmar has produced good machinery for a while. I just wonder how good the Cub package that it resides in is. Looks very stout, and drives around the dealer lot great. I have noticed that CUTs from Cub, Case, Bobcat, Kubota, and some others look almost identical but with different paint schemes.

For what its worth: 2010 SX3100 with loader and 60" MMM runs $19K here in central Michigan. That is the price they gave me without any dickering on my part *yet*.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just took possession of an Sx3100. Sweet! Can't say too much since we are in the break-in period, but all good so far @ 1.6 hrs....Yanmar is quite OK - We've had the marine versions in the past that were very reliable and robust.

We have been working it though. Removed an old concrete walkway with the bucket - gently - and it is as nimble as it is handsome. My wife jumped right on - and appears quite confident operating it. They are going to be a good pair - mowing grass and all... The 60" deck will arrive the middle of next week for it. Hope to get a tiller before the end of the coming cold...

We decided to spend before the VAT and all the other tax increases that are going to be enacted soon....

Thanks yall,
Bill C.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Any updates after your purchase?

Looking at the 2720 vs this new Cub.
So far at 16 hours, there are no complaints with this Sx3100 Cub Cadet at all. I have had the FEL off and on many times, the cutting deck removed many times and have run some distance on the road in high range to do a job. The steering wheel 'float' was somewhat alarming until finding that this is normal and doesn't effect steering at all. The steering is very positive even at speed.

I had to adjust the idle down from the 'new' setting (1200 down to 900) and that has been the only adjustment made other than for implements. This is a good hardy and fine to operate tractor.

This Yanmar is a happy engine, it sounds and runs very nicely. Running a 60" tiller doesn't have much effect on the PTO speed when running at the designated optimum engine RPM. Plenty of power.

The only item to watch is the tail lights. They are mounted up on the ROP and are vulnerable. Mowing in tight bushy areas will certainly do some damage. I have fabricated a set of guards and will install them as soon as possible. I'll gladly share that info....with photos and etc.

Bill C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Bill for the update.

Did you look at any other CUTs? Care to share your thoughts how this compaired to the others and why you went w/ the Cub?

You're the first I've found that has posted anything on this tractor, any info and pics would be great.
:thanku:

·
Registered
123 Posts

Did you look at any other CUTs? Care to share your thoughts how this compaired to the others and why you went w/ the Cub?

You're the first I've found that has posted anything on this tractor, any info and pics would be great.
The JD 2720 and the Cub Cadet Sx3100 are the same tractor - right down to the tail lights and rear fender extensions that are $210 each! (I damaged one...about the size of a pie pan and would sail about as far!) The price is very close and the main reason I chose the Cub was that a dealer is very much closer to home.

I'm in the process of fabricating a set of quick attach pallet forks for the FEL. I'll send some photos soon as I can.

JD's are popular and plentiful, and I didn't think they would miss my purchase much. The colors on the Cub are catching.

Cub is limited in supplying attachments and in that regard the JD would be better, that is if you want all 'matching' attachments.

Bill C.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Also; we looked at the 3200 which is a physically larger machine but has the same engine/transmission as the 3100 but the front axle, all final drives and the rear end is larger/wider. The 2400 was available at the time but we needed the FEL - the 2450 is beefed up for the FEL and backhoe attachment.
We had looked at JDs previously and didn't see much difference with the Cubs and prices were comparable. There are many used JDs but we did not want a used machine...

Bill C.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm not going to totally retract this as I should be let it be known that I made a mistake in posting this! I apologize for the poor judgment and decision to post this.....

Update:

There are NO parts available for the Sx3100 - none!

I don't know about any of the other Cub Cadet models but this is a serious problem and I would not have bought the tractor!

This dealer has been giving me the run around now since I made the purchase....He may just buy this Sx3100 back!

A machine is only as good as its parts availability - I guess this Cub Cadet ain't worth much! MTD can't even get parts for it...... :banghead3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shoot. That's no good. :(

And I just did a test drive on one. Great dealer, close to my house. Mom and pop place.

I was really considering it as the price was way cheaper than the 2720 JD and had some nicer feature.

What parts are you needing that you can't get?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Shoot. That's no good. :(

And I just did a test drive on one. Great dealer, close to my house. Mom and pop place.

I was really considering it as the price was way cheaper than the 2720 JD and had some nicer feature.

What parts are you needing that you can't get?
Well, I guess I jumped to a conclusion too soon....:maddd:

I ordered the FEL logo "CL200" because the first job I did ripped part of it off and since the tractor is so new, we wished to replace it. That was at about three days...then the left hazard rear light on the ROPS was broken running through some heavy brush while mowing. I ordered both parts at the same time over a month ago. The dealer owner just called me and apologized saying that his dealer network computer system was at fault - it wasn't linking properly to Cub Cadet parts depot. So, he is on top of it and says these parts will be on him due to the delay and mis-communication....

We are enjoying this machine and I was trying to justify how I could keep a tractor such as this without factory parts support - I'm most happy to get to the bottom of the situation and find that the dealer is sincere and that parts ARE available after all....:fing32:

Sorry for jumping too soon with a knee-jerk conclusion.:tsk: and :comp26:

Bill C.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This 3100 is a work horse! A 60" tiller is a cinch for it in dry hard (need of rain) soil.

Just an update... Anyone else working with a 3100?

Seems John Deere is quite active.....photos, modifications, additions, problems and solutions. Can't fine a photo over here of a Cub doing anything. :bump9:

BillC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Bill,

Any updates? Have you used it in the snow yet?

Starting to think again.... a tractor would be nicer than a snowblower about now. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, cleaned the driveway and street out to the main road with the FEL - just couldn't stop... We have about 14" here on the VA coast - :snowing:
pleased me to have an opportunity to work the Cub a bit. The FEL is not the best for scraping a road at all - constantly needed to work off the road edge with the snow.

This little job gave a healthy respect for the hydrostatic transmission with those F and R pedals - handy! :fing32:

I had intended to make an anti-dig strip for the blade on the FEL. The edge took a beating on the road surface getting under the ice. A piece of PVC tube with a slice taken out along its length and wire tied onto the blade was my thought...

Playing in the snow is a different type of adventure with this SX3100 ! Just need a snow blade - to lay around idle all year but when it's needed it would be much better than the FEL.

Bill C. Happy New Year !! :drunkie:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Had a warranty issue: I posted it in a specifically titled thread. All is fine since the replaced valve assembly....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts