My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to switch the controls on my Kioti backhoe to excavator controls has anyone done it. just wondering how hard it is.

·
21,532 Posts
It's not as easy as it is to switch some excavator control functions to back hoe style functions.

On excavators, a switch is flipped. On back hoes, hoses (and sometimes valves) are switched.

I have a limited amount of time on both, and I must admit that the excavator control movements are not as intuitive as for the back hoe for me.

·
2,103 Posts
You don't mention the model, but on many machines I've used here there is a plate on the floor you can remove to reveal a control valve. Rotating the valve to various positions alters the function of each stick until you find the one you are used to.

·
10,406 Posts
I can’t find any pics or discussions on valves or hose routing for your Kioti. Since the only connections to your tractor are hydraulic, that makes the valves mechanical.

You’re going to have to pull off that cover below the joysticks and swap the hoses around.

D55DA8DE-2E6C-4C19-AFE9-2DECEB1C5522.jpeg

Good news, found a pic of one apart.

A6229A6F-7451-4138-BE2E-EB20F22676E4.jpeg

Now just identify which sets of hoses run the stick and which ones the boom, and then try to re-route them. I’m sure there’s tons of room in there.

Be sure to get everything as clean as possible in there before you start.

I read quite a few instances of these valves leaking. If corrosion gets started on the exposed valve body, (the portion just below the rubber boots of your joystick levers) it slices the o-ring the next time you use it. I would grab a can of chain lubricant or fluid film to spray around there after you’ve finished.

·
10,406 Posts
Just a guess from the pics, spools #1 and #5 (from the left) might be the ones you’re after.

Not sure why there is not a relief on the #1, but there is on all the other hoe function spools. ??

·
21,532 Posts
Just a guess from the pics, spools #1 and #5 (from the left) might be the ones you’re after.

Not sure why there is not a relief on the #1, but there is on all the other hoe function spools. ??
Large excavators have variable displacement pumps and closed center systems. The smaller back hoes have fixed displacement pumps and open center systems.

In order to balance the speeds of the different functions on an open center system, the cylinder sizes have to be adjusted in the design stage. If a larger than required cylinder is called for to keep the speed down, a lower pressure relief valve will be required for that spool to keep the force available compatible with the rest of the system, or the mechanical limitations of the equipment. eg. Swing cylinders typically operate with a reduced pressure to limit lateral forces that can be applied by the bucket when at its maximum reach.

There also has to be a starting point for all of these design modifications, and that is the spool that will operate a cylinder that is the right size for speed with the system flow available and makes use of the system relief valve for maximum pressure and force development.

Note that in the pic, the boom and both stabilizer valves operate at system pressure. The swing, stick, and bucket valves all have their own relief valves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally switched my backhoe controls it was easy just switched the hoses for the stick and boom. Now it works like what I'm use to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts