My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of fighting with communist-cast to lower my bundled rate, they finally stopped budging ...so i ditched their service.

We had bundled our TV, phone and internet service and were paying about $118 (out the door) for "6 meg/powerboost" service, a decent television package (no DVR) and LAN phone. Every anniversary, our rates would skyrocket. Id call and complain. Eventually, they would get me on the next "promotion" for a year.

About a month ago, my bill shot up to $198/mo. However, after speaking to several agents, the most they were willing to lower it was by about $30. I kept telling them that i couldnt afford that rate and I needed to be below $120. I told them my next call would be to disconnect. The best they could do was to lower my TV package which doesnt help with my wife and kids programming. I told them I could budge on internet speed and LAN phone ..but not TV.

I called Direct TV and worked out a sweet deal. Free install on "3" TVs (2 are HD), they include a DVR, even better TV package. This is a 24 month package. I got a referral bonus from a friend ...and knocked another $10/mo for 10 months. Total package is about $45/mo for 10 months, $55/mo for the next 2 months and about $85/mo for the next year. If I sign up more referrals, I get "another" $10/mo off (and so does the person being referred). I called Communicast, reduced my Interent to 1.7meg, phone to a local plan. They beg and pleaded me to stay ....i couldnt wait to ditch their TV package and reduce their other package. I told them that all they care about is getting new customers and not retaining long term customers. The interent speed is just fine ....not much of a downgrade at all ...especially for surfing, video streaming, etc.

Dont be afraid to ditch your bundle. there are other options for the same service. If you go with Direct TV, get ahold of me. If I "refer" you, we "each" save $10/month for 10 months.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have had DirecTV since I moved to MS in the country, there is no other option besides dish out here. There are very few things I miss about cable. I will say the install is basic as basic comes. Cable ran on the outside of the house, poked through the wall and into the house. They will fish walls, but each wall for each level is a set price. I have my dish on a pole behind my house and it works great. HD channels are good and there is plenty for the wife and kids to watch.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have had Dish for 10 years. With the same thing I had from the start of 35 a month is now 70 a month. They tell me that channels are added all the time to help improve my package. That is funny since I still only want to watch the maybe dozen channels out of well over 100 no one obviously are not watching. Between Dish, my local phone with internet, and family of 3 cell phones, bill is running over 300 a month. Some day I will probably have an awakening and just shut everything off. My brother went to Direct and after 1 year jacked rate up pretty good. So enjoy it this year.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
i would get rid of them (comcast) all together i had a bundle plan for 1 month when i got the bill it was not what they said, you know all the hidden charges, i drop everything but the dish they said i had a 2 year contract on it. 6 months later i called dish said i lost my job and can not afford them they lowered my bill to 6.00 a month kept the hd on i now use skype and magic jack as my phone service, skype is 30 a year and magic jack runs me 1.00 a month. went back to cable for the internet

·
Registered
569 Posts
After several years of fighting with communist-cast to lower my bundled rate, they finally stopped budging ...so i ditched their service.

We had bundled our TV, phone and internet service and were paying about $118 (out the door) for "6 meg/powerboost" service, a decent television package (no DVR) and LAN phone. Every anniversary, our rates would skyrocket. Id call and complain. Eventually, they would get me on the next "promotion" for a year.

About a month ago, my bill shot up to $198/mo. However, after speaking to several agents, the most they were willing to lower it was by about $30. I kept telling them that i couldnt afford that rate and I needed to be below $120. I told them my next call would be to disconnect. The best they could do was to lower my TV package which doesnt help with my wife and kids programming. I told them I could budge on internet speed and LAN phone ..but not TV.

I called Direct TV and worked out a sweet deal. Free install on "3" TVs (2 are HD), they include a DVR, even better TV package. This is a 24 month package. I got a referral bonus from a friend ...and knocked another $10/mo for 10 months. Total package is about $45/mo for 10 months, $55/mo for the next 2 months and about $85/mo for the next year. If I sign up more referrals, I get "another" $10/mo off (and so does the person being referred). I called Communicast, reduced my Interent to 1.7meg, phone to a local plan. They beg and pleaded me to stay ....i couldnt wait to ditch their TV package and reduce their other package. I told them that all they care about is getting new customers and not retaining long term customers. The interent speed is just fine ....not much of a downgrade at all ...especially for surfing, video streaming, etc.

Dont be afraid to ditch your bundle. there are other options for the same service. If you go with Direct TV, get ahold of me. If I "refer" you, we "each" save $10/month for 10 months.
So what is your rate after 24 months???
No one can never answer that question?

I hate contracts? I understand why they are there, cost of install and etc.
Why not just charge for install and let us go Month to month!!

Did I mention I hate contracts, there everywhere!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what is your rate after 24 months???
No one can never answer that question?

I hate contracts? I understand why they are there, cost of install and etc.
Why not just charge for install and let us go Month to month!!

Did I mention I hate contracts, there everywhere!!!
Paul

Contracts are there to keep these companies (and lawyers) making money.

I dont care what the rate goes to after 24 months. At that point, I have other options (go back to cable, Uverse, Dish Network, or stay with direct TV).

I figure if I refer a couple of more "friends" (saving $10/mo for 10 months) I dont care what the rate will be in year two. Now I figure that the most will be about $85/mo (or less). Over two years, it averages out to a reasonable rate.

Personally I could ditch everything except for internet. However, the wife and kids are TV addicts and would go nuts. Its just not worth it.

By the way, this 1.7 meg service doesnt feel much worse than the 6 meg "powerboost" service. Its a **** of alot cheaper too. Comcast 1.7 meg (slowest high speed) and lan phone with modem rental is about $57/mo. Dont let them make you think that 6 megs is that much different.....unless you are constantly downloading huge files. I've even played some online games and didnt notice much of a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts