My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an ad for a Swisher Big Mow. Says it needs transmission work. It is front wheel drive.
Any info? Cool looking. Maybe a lawn ornament!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There was a thread here about one a month or so ago. More common than you think. I have one stashed in a shed that I haven't toyed with. It came with the property. I saw one at the local junkyard also.

Single blade so the cut quality is pretty good.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
On a large dairy farm we mowed a LOT of grass with an older one like that. The last ones had that little hood and the tilted back steering wheel. The older ones had a steel hood, steering wheel shaft stood straight up. The mower deck was powered off of the lower end of the crankshaft, and the transmission was powered off of the upper end of the crankshaft. What I have read on the web is that the only engine they could get to work on that mower was no longer able to pass emissions so they stopped making them.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
I had one like that a few years ago.. had a lever under the sterrin wheel to engauge the deck.. to get reverse u had to turn the front drive wheel 180 degrees.. turned a lotta corners on 2 wheels.. I had to remove the plastic hood a lot to work on it.. mine had the flat head 8 hp engine with rope start.. I may still have the tranny used in mine.. I scraped it & used the engine on a RER

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I'd like to take the drive system from 4 of them and make a 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer riding mower. But I have many other unfinished projects so....

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
On a large dairy farm we mowed a LOT of grass with an older one like that. The last ones had that little hood and the tilted back steering wheel. The older ones had a steel hood, steering wheel shaft stood straight up. The mower deck was powered off of the lower end of the crankshaft, and the transmission was powered off of the upper end of the crankshaft. What I have read on the web is that the only engine they could get to work on that mower was no longer able to pass emissions so they stopped making them.
the power to the front wheel was done by a pulley on the recoil end of crank.. to change the belt I had to take the top tin off the engine.. then unbolt the recoil from the tin.. mine had the plastic hood & it was a bugger to get off.. had to remove the steerin wheel to do so..

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Ours was purchased in the early 70s. I remember my brother Ben giving me a ride on it up and down the lawn then letting me go up and down by myself. I was 5 or 6 at the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
in 1989 a hardware store in fremont NE carried every part made for these. they were apparently a huge dealer. Don't remember the name but if you find them they may still have new part.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Artel, welcome...

Just FYI, this is a 6 year old thread. Most likely, the O.P. has sorted the problem, either by fixing it or by crushing the mower into a tiny cube...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts