My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone like to recommend which system is best and easiest to install and operate.

24" round above ground pool 52" high

Or if you had a nationwide pool company install it and you were happy with them and a ball park price they charged you.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
My research has shown salt is easiest to maintain. It used to have a premium, but that has gone down as they have become more popular in my area.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it not many members on here have pools or is it just don't have the salt systems?

·
Super Moderator
33,671 Posts
Jimbochap, I've always had chlorine based pools and tossing some tabs in the skimmer about once a week and adding some shock-it after a heavy rain is not too much trouble. I've never had a salt system so you'll have to get some others to comment on them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I switched to salt last year and I love it! We have a 18ft 52" round pool and had perfect water all season, I always had algae at some point with chlorine. I bought the intex system from Wal-Mart for 200.00 + 20.00 for a 2 yr warranty it is the same system they sell at local pool stores for 350.00. And no burning red eyes.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I switched to salt last year and I love it! We have a 18ft 52" round pool and had perfect water all season, I always had algae at some point with chlorine. I bought the intex system from Wal-Mart for 200.00 + 20.00 for a 2 yr warranty it is the same system they sell at local pool stores for 350.00. And no burning red eyes.

Wow , that sounds great. I see some systems costing 4 and 5 times that.

Tell me about what you have to do the start of the season to get it up and running? How many bags of salt etc. What electrical changes do you have to do to my surrent filter? Does this thing and the pump run 24/7? How do you know when and if to add salt?

Does this Intex system work on all types of above ground pools or does it have to be a intex pool(those blow up ones only?)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Electrically all that is required is a 120 outlet, it only draws 1 amp . At start up you add salt according to the amount of water you have, mine came with a chart that tells you everything, you also need stabilizer at start up. You only add salt and stabilizer once a season unless you drain water, evaporation does not effect it. I ran mine 24 hrs till I got the chlorine level where I wanted it then I just ran the pump and chlorinator 5 hrs a day to maintain. It also has copper ionization to kill algae. Here is a pic of it sorry its dusty from being stored all winter 1365730477440.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So even at startup, you don't add shock or anything to clear it up. Just add the recommended salt and stabilizer and run it?

Do you ever have to vacum the pool like you normally would during the swimming season?

I don't see anywhere where it says up to how many gallons this can still work. Like I said earlier I don't have an intex pool, It's a regular size above ground pool 24' x 52" high.
Will it work on my size pool?

Right now my pool has a cover on it, and there is not even a single leaf in the pool and the water right now is pretty much crystal clear. Hardly any dirt at all. The winter kit I used last year, really did a great job. Start up should be easy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I did not add any shock to mine at start up but did after heavy rain, which did not happen much last season. I did vacuum once a week and added salt once to make up for it, there is a alarm on the unit that tells you when the level is low

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not add any shock to mine at start up but did after heavy rain, which did not happen much last season. I did vacuum once a week and added salt once to make up for it, there is a alarm on the unit that tells you when the level is low

But when you vacum and then backwash, does that mean you have to add salt pretty much right away after that?

·
Registered
241 Posts
No it was almost the end of the season before I had to add any. I think it the salinity is higer than it needs at the beginning, but I'm shure it depends on how much you are backwashing

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't have a intex pool either, mine is a doughboy and they sell this same unit at the dealer I bought the pool from.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have a intex pool either, mine is a doughboy and they sell this same unit at the dealer I bought the pool from.

Wonder how many gallons it's rated up to ? My pool has more water then yours.

BTW.Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
241 Posts
I found my owners manual and the table shows a 24×52" pool, I don't know if you can see it in the pic but ill try. My father in law put the same system on his 20' pool after sending back his 500.00 hang in the pool unit that didn't work. His pool was perfect too 1365733370844.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have never seen the second one may be a newer model, mine is a 54601EG

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
One last question, I want to make sure my pump has enough flow. Do you know how many hp your pump is?

I believe mine is either 1.5 or 2 hp

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is 1.5 hp on a sand filter and is plenty.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Interesting read about the Ozone usage in a pool. I might give the Ozone/ Saltwater combo one a try.

http://poolnerd.com/2007/02/17/ozone-should-you-use-it-in-your-pool/

INTEX Krystal Clear Ozone & Saltwater Pool System with GFIC | 56607EG Features:
•All-natural solution to easy and odorless sanitation of your pool water!
•Ozone eliminates bacteria over 3,000 times faster than traditional chlorine
03 Generator replacement indicator
•Both systems are controlled automatically with a built-in 24 hour timer to make daily operation carefree and easy
•Saltwater system combines a unique two-stage technology to sanitize your pool
•Titanium plates
•GFCI electrical protection, works with your standard 110-120V Outlet
•Ideal for INTEX above-ground pools 6,000 to 15,000 gallons
•Includes 38mm hose, adaptor A and clamps
•Requires a filter pump with a flow rate between 1,500 - 4,000 gph (sold seperately)

Features
•Ozone Generator Output of 150 milligrams per hour.
•Saltwater Chlorine Output of 11 grams per hour.
•Krystal Clear Saltwater System™ Eliminates bacteria and algae from pool water using virtually undetectable amounts of economical, eco-friendly salt. This system produces low levels of natural chlorine that swimmers neither feel nor smell. The result is soft, fresh, clean water without the potential harsh side effects of packaged pool chemicals!
•Saltwater System for Above Ground Pools
•Much gentler on skin, eyes, clothes, and hair than packaged chlorine
•Say goodbye to continuously adding chemicals to your pool water – no more ongoing expense and trips to the store
•No chemical smell, no faded swimsuits, no red burning eyes, and no hair discoloration!
•Creates salt levels about one-tenth that of the ocean, so swimmers won’t see, feel, or smell any salt
•When water evaporates, simply add more water – the salt level will remain the same
•Salt does not evaporate – Unless water is splashed out of the pool, you may never have to add more salt!
•Requires a Filter Pump with a flow rate between 1500 and 4,000 gallons per hour
•110-120 Volt
•24-hour Auto clock for extra easy pool maintenance
•2-Year Intex Direct Warranty.
•34 lbs shipping weight.

Jackson..... is there an O3 replacement cartridge in the one you have or any other filter that needs replacing from time to time or do you just take something out of the unit and clean it and put it back in?

·
Registered
241 Posts
No replacement but it has two caps that you put on and fill with vinegar to clean scale from the unit, pretty simple. I don't know about the ozone unit

1 - 20 of 135 Posts