My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 5240 and am experiencing the following issue(s): When the Swiftmatic is in High and the High/Low clutch is in High, the transmission slips if you put any significant load on it--I can make it do it by leaning back against the handles. With the Swiftmatic in High and the High/Low clutch in Low it will drag me without hesitation.
When the Swiftmatic is in Low and the High/Low is in High or Low, I can push the tractor forward as if the tranny is freewheeling for a bit then it catches and keeps pulling.
I looked at the manuals, read as many threads as I could find on the forums and after adjusting the springs on the High/Low clutch and compressing the spring on the Swiftmatic a bit more, the slipping seemed to be better but still happened if I leaned back on the handles, particularly if going uphill. The freewheel lurch remains unchanged.
One note: I found conflicting info with regard to the Fwd/Rev and High/Low clutch adjustment. I found manuals that said the springs should be adjusted util they are just compressed--I took that to mean all coils touching--and other posts to say somewhat compressed but not bottomed out. Did this vary by year and if yes, any insight on adjusting mine is helpful.
So after all that am I just out of adjustment or do I have a potential internal issue?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Welcome SM!

I suspect you have two things going on.

One is the high speed clutch. I'd say it's out of adjustment, though it sounds like you've been tightening it. Try tightening up the nuts on that actuator another turn or two. With the lever locked in high, that spring should be compressed, though not totally bottomed out. If that doesn't help, you may have a clutch which is too worn, and needs to be replaced. You can try over-tightening it so that the spring does bottom out; if that works, you're at the end of your adjustment. It'll run for a while, but you should think about that clutch replacement.

Two is the swifto. There are no clutches in there, it's a dog-gear mechanism. It's common for the internal shifter to get stuck between high and low, leaving you effectively in neutral. A common cause is dirt or crud on the pivot pin, or dirt on the sliding pin which goes into the axle housing. Yes, that design puts lubricated sliding steel dirt magnets down in a dirty area :) The fix is to clean that stuff so that the shifter operates smoothly, and adjust the springs on the actuator so that you get full travel out of the shifter. When shifting, you should see/feel a sort of click when the internal dog gear engages.

I'd ignore the swifto issue for the moment, and focus on the clutch.

Good luck, and :wwp:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JRD,
Thanks. Sounds like I have some further diagnosing to do. Appreciate the quick response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Glad I found this forum. I will readjust to those specs and see how it goes. Appreciate you sharing the manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts