My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 11:15pm and I just pulled into the driveway with my new girl.

**yawn** more tomorrow...I want to drag off the trailer tonight but I'm too bushed.

As an old '54 LI guy, you can not imagine my joy with the new addition.

I was just told this morning at 7am she was available and tonight she is home!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Don. With only 225 hours logged, I'm hoping there are no surprises other than topical dirt and grime.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Shes a dream! Looks like it was cared for a welll maintained! Where did you pick this up ?

OT: Any word on that Pro12 from your cooworker ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark, I picked up the 16 on a gentleman's farm in Lehigh Valley. The elderly owner passed away and the son was selling it on behalf of the estate. I was told the old man, who was very ill for a long time, did not use the machine much. The blower shows no evidence of EVER being used (but that's just my observation).

I'm still studying the Pro12 but there are some fishy aspects I'm not liking. Although I believe you can never have too many Gravely's, you still have to pick and choose.

Ken

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Now that I'm off my Blackberry I can truly see that the tractor was BARELY used! I'm sure you paid a bit but don't second guess yourself because it certainly looks like a dream machine!

As for the Pro12, send me a private message if you like and we'll talk. The old lady has been buggin me to go to Kittery and Freeport so this may be a good excuse to go up...

·
Banned
647 Posts
Gorgeous tractor.

Nice work.

[Plus the snow plow gets you about 50% of the way to full front PTO functionality.]

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Looks very nice, but what's with the depression in the front part of the seat pan? It's the first I've ever noticed that. My 16 doesn't have it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Great looking machine. Too bad I didn't see it. I'm close by myself and certainly would have entertained the idea of bringing home another Gravely. NOT!!!!!!!!!! I'm running out of places to hide them from the Mrs.

Nice machine though. You did very well. Good luck with her and hopefully there won't be any surprises. With that low an hour count, I would think that you would be good to go.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
First time I saw them was when I checked out that lot of Gravely G series/8000 series riders in NE Pa. that were shown in the original Craigslist ad in the Gravely Rider Paradise thread. One of those tractors had them. When I saw the pic, it looked like damage. Then when I saw them in person, it was clear it was a factory modification to strengthen the seat pan.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
My preference when I was hunting for a "G" was no dimples and the speedlines graphics, which is what I ended up finding. Obviously a tractor with the swoosh would've meant a newer machine, but had I ended up with a tractor with the swoosh, I would have changed it. The speedlines look the coolest to me.

I always thought the dimples and swoosh went with the Robin engines but I see that I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Assume you are referring to what look like shallow depressions in the seat pan to the left and right of the front seat edge? If so, I can barely make them out in the photos. My 16-G is a 1996 and looks very similar to this tractor, but is dimpleless and has a crack in the pan. Wonder how well they worked in preventing this from happening. Gravely should have simply reinforced this area from the beginning, as a lot of folks ended up adding a piece of plate w/hole for the seat switch anyway. This and heat shield on the underside would have been nice additions.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Assume you are referring to what look like shallow depressions in the seat pan to the left and right of the front seat edge? If so, I can barely make them out in the photos. My 16-G is a 1996 and looks very similar to this tractor, but is dimpleless and has a crack in the pan. Wonder how well they worked in preventing this from happening. Gravely should have simply reinforced this area from the beginning, as a lot of folks ended up adding a piece of plate w/hole for the seat switch anyway. This and heat shield on the underside would have been nice additions.
Cracks in the seat pan seem to be a standard feature on G's. I've seen very few without cracks or repairs and I've seen very very few 800/8000's with cracks. I bet it's the redesigned seat support, but they might have used a thinner sheet metal or a reduced quality steel.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts