My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ahh, the quest for more power continues.

i have an 18hp briggs opposed twin. according to everything i can find the charging system is rated at 4 amps. i'd like to do someting to get a little more power to run lights, winches and anything else i can think of. i'm thinking of simply adding an automotive alternator or maybe a generator from another make/model of riding mower.

i did some research and it looks like some of the vanguard engines have larger magnets under the flywheel. some of them are rated at 20 amps. would it be possible to just swap out the flywheel on my opposed twin with a flywheel off a vanguard engine and get more power or is there more to it than that?

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
You would also have to change the coils.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,263 Posts
No problem, any 42 or 46 series flywheel will fit that. What MAY be the big difference, most likely your engine only has one lead from the stator producing DC, IF it has a second lead, that lead is probably producing AC for lights. In the higher out put alternator, both leads go to a regulator which utilizes the out put of both leads to produce straight DC only. That stator is wound differently by the way.

One thing, your old 40 series probably has a flywheel with cast iron cooling fins, with regard to my statement above, I do not know if the newer flywheels with plastic cooling fan will interchange, never tried it but would be surprised it they didn't interchange.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
348 Posts
One thing, your old 40 series probably has a flywheel with cast iron cooling fins, with regard to my statement above, I do not know if the newer flywheels with plastic cooling fan will interchange, never tried it but would be surprised it they didn't interchange.
Walt Conner
depends on if the 40 series already has plastic fins on the flywheel or not i have two one has plastic fins and the other dosent but the shrouds will not interchange. like if you take a shroud from one with cast iron fins on try to put it on one with plastic fins it wont fit the plastic fins are bigger and they touch the shroud i had one that was all rusted and i had extra ones from the cast iron fins so i thought there the same ill just change them well there not. Now the shroud from the plastic fin ones will fit the cast iron ones. Just thought id give you a little heads up.:thThumbsU

1 - 4 of 4 Posts